Thread: Another Tree

Real Name
    Wendy

Another Tree

Sorry I can't help myself. Winter trees are such interesting subjects. Love the shade in the summer, but they are much more interesting in the winter.

Another Tree
    Tree and Fence by Wendy FS, on Flickr

C&C welcome
    Wendy
    Last edited by ScoutR; 10th January 2012 at 06:10 PM.

Real Name
    Ron

Re: Another Tree

I love this Wendy.Don't know how many times I have driven around looking for a singular tree sitting on a hill side in my neck of the woods.Not to many around here that don't have something else cluttering up the image.

Real Name
    Kathy

Love it!!

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks Kathy

Ron, if you ever get a chance come to Ontario. Lots of lone trees in the landscape.

Wendy

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Great capture Wendy. I love the composition and contrast. I never get tired of B&W winter tree shots like this.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

"Another Tree"... Another good one. Superb!

Real Name
    Tommy

I really like the composition on this shot Wendy, it's got a lot of potential... For me though I think you should have retained some detail in the sky, even if just a tiny amount, rather than it being pure white. I think that if you want to print it then you should have some detail there...

Another Tree

Real Name
    Mal

Really nice Wendy. Is it worth while cloning out that solitary fence post on the left? I can't seem to decide whether it distracts or adds to the composition. I'm leaning towards it needing to be there - as i think it it's pointing to the tree.

Real Name
    Sharon

Beautiful work Wendy!

It is simple an elegant. I love the blank sky and the fencepost, please don't change a thing!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Superb. Simply superb. Everything in the frame has got a role in the image and is in just the right place. But there's nothing 'extra' or unnecessary. I could (will) look at that for hours.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks everyone, I was really expecting comments more like "Wendy enough already with the trees" so I'm very pleased with the response.

I really like the composition on this shot Wendy, it's got a lot of potential... For me though I think you should have retained some detail in the sky, even if just a tiny amount, rather than it being pure white. I think that if you want to print it then you should have some detail there...
    Tommy, there really was not any detail in the sky. Dull grey day and the sky was flat. I have lightened it considerably because the grey was just dull. However, I really don't have much experience with how things turn out when printed. I trust your eye you've given me good advice in the past so my question is this. For printing purposes would it be better to darken the sky a bit? There won't be any detail there, just grey. I know I like it on screen better this way but the sky is completely blown in the rework. It's not in the original, so I have room to work with it. It's a hard call for me because I don't have the experience with translating screen to print. I like the high contrast in this, BUT for printing would it be better to let the sky go a bit grey, just to the point where it's not blown even though it still won't have any detail and I won't like it as well on screen. Sorry to put you on the spot. I know it's probably not an easy question to answer, but generally speaking what do you think?

Really nice Wendy. Is it worth while cloning out that solitary fence post on the left? I can't seem to decide whether it distracts or adds to the composition. I'm leaning towards it needing to be there - as i think it it's pointing to the tree.
    Malcom you have that crazy photographers eye that is going to serve you (and the rest of us) well. I think the post does have to stay, BUT i think it would be better if I could bring out the strand of barb wire connecting it the fence. It wouldn't seem so out of place then.

Thanks again everyone.

Wendy