Thread: Butterflies

Real Name
    Kristin

Butterflies

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this community and thought I would post up a few pics that I took. These were taken at a Butterfly Show at Carleton University. Any comments or tips to improve would be greatly appreciated

img_5525-copy.jpg

Kristin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th January 2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: put image inline

Real Name
    Rhonda

Re: Butterflies

Lovely picture of the butterfly however the yellow stem of the flower draws my attention away from the main subject which is the butterfly.

Real Name
    Kristin

Thank you very much for the helpful feedback Rhona I'll keep that in mind for future shots

Real Name
    Ian

Kristin,

Do you have any tips for the rest of us regards butterfly photography? I am doing some later in the month and any difficulties you found would be good to share.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Do you have any tips for the rest of us regards butterfly photography? I am doing some later in the month and any difficulties you found would be good to share.
    Hi Ian,

Frankie would be another good person to ask as she 'works' with them (or did before she moved).

My own "two penn'th" is the fairly obvious "get square on to them" or you'll have DoF problems.

This is the best I have ever managed and only achieved that because this one, unlike the other 99% I encounter, was 'co-operative'

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kristin,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

You might want to review the various image posting alternatives here; HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

You 'skipped a bit' in the instructions which meant the image was small, I have fixed that this time. The above link explains all.

Do you have access to any PP (Post Processing) software?
    I ask because a crop (or bit of 'burning') to remove (or tone down) that bright leaf on left would be advisable.
    It might be possible to dodge the wings to increase the brightness of the shadow areas a bit.

All the best,

Real Name
    Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Kristin,

Hello Ian,

To be honest, I am quite an amature when it comes to photography. When I took the photos of the butterflies, it was in an enclosed greenhouse so they were everywhere which made it quite easy to zoom in an snape a shot of one. I guess patience and just keep your camera close to your eye so that the minute you see one land you can take a quick photo. Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Kristin

Real Name
    Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Kristin,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

You might want to review the various image posting alternatives here; HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

You 'skipped a bit' in the instructions which meant the image was small, I have fixed that this time. The above link explains all.

Do you have access to any PP (Post Processing) software?
    I ask because a crop (or bit of 'burning') to remove (or tone down) that bright leaf on left would be advisable.
    It might be possible to dodge the wings to increase the brightness of the shadow areas a bit.

All the best,
    Thanks Dave,

I'll take a look at the instructions for my next posting.

In regards to the Post Processing Software, do you mean something like "Photoshop?" I don't have one yet, but I will keep your advice in mind for the future. Also, do you know of any inexpensive ones?

Thanks,
    Kristin

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I would suggest a flash for some fill light on the back side of the wings. The right wing is way darker than the left wing with the light coming threw it. The way the lighting is now is kind of distracting and you loose detail in the wings being so dark.

Real Name
    Kristin

Thanks Rob