Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: taking a photo that contains fog or mist with my nikon L120 camera

Real Name
    Kathy

taking a photo that contains fog or mist with my nikon L120 camera

I have a Nikon L120 camera, this camera does not have manual controls on it such as changing the shutter speed, aperature etc. It has the basic controls on it such as landscape, fireworks, portrait, macro etc. I was wondering if there is a setting on my cameral that would be better to use when taking a photo that contains mist or fog in it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: taking a photo that contains fog or mist with my nikon L120 camera

Hi Kathy! I had this issue with a church I photographed in the fog. In the end, I just went for full Auto and here is how it came out. Church in the Fog

Sometimes the easiest solutions end up working fairly well. I would also experiment with Landscape and compare the result. That should give you a better feel for what works well with your camera. Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Kathy

Frank,
    Thank you for sharing your photo, it is very beautiful . . . if reminds me of my church I grew up in!!
    So if I use my "Auto" I do have a choice of what ISO setting I should be on (as you can tell I am not very knowledgable yet about a lot of things -- but I am working on it!) do you have a suggestion there? I was thinking somewhere around an ISO of 400 or 800???? or am I way off base??? Thanks for your input

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

I would believe that it wasn't so murky as it appears in the shot of the church; fog often appears a lot brighter.

There is a control called exposure compensation, and on the L120 it is very easy to use. You use it to make the image darker or brighter. A fog shot might look better if you adjust the compensation to a plus value, somewhere near +1. Maybe 2/3 EV is about right.

You reach the control with the same cross-wise arrows that are used for navigation when you look at pictures. The right arrow has a +/- marking beside it. You touch it and the compensation scale is shown on screen. Up arrow brightens the image, down arrow darkens. To fix the value you choose, press the center OK button.

And, this is important, you shouldn't forget to set it back to normal, as the camera will remember the setting even when you turn it off.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I don't know what ISO options your L120 has in Auto but in the image I took, Auto used ISO 100 if that is any help. Perhaps another L120 user can chime in with better information.

Real Name
    Kathy

Thank you for your replies, it has helped me very much!!

Real Name
    Mike

Kathy,

CiC has a superb tutorial on shooting in mist, fog and assorted types of weather:

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...hotography.htm

I read through it a number of times, and then used the techniques to help me
    capture this foggy valley at sunrise:

http://www.pbase.com/dizzygazer/image/138111934

Mike

Real Name
    Kathy

Wow, your photo is beautiful!!
    I did read through the tutorial and plan on reading through it again, my main concern is how limited I am on what settings I can use with my camera. Thanks for the info.