Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I Photo

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

I Photo

When I use IPhoto to process my images they seem to be reducing in size dramatically. Is it the settings or the program? I have since purchased Aperture but still use IPhoto to crop as it seems to give me more options. Advice appreciated.

Wayne

Real Name
    Peter

Re: I Photo

Wayne - I don't use iphoto that much these days, but from what I can remember, iphoto doesn't affect the file size at all. However, when you export your images, it certainly does reduce file size dramatically. For example, when you e-mail a photo, iphoto automatically downsizes. There is a selection box somewhere that allows you to select actual size or downsized when you export.

Have a look around for that box (I remember it is in the bottom right of something - I just can't remember what). If you can't find it, then let me know in what process it is downsizing and I'll try on my computer. For example, if you are dragging a picture from iphoto to your desktop, or an e-mail or similar.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Hi peter, after 110 views I had given up on an answer. Thanks for getting back to me. I will look for the box and see if it is set wrong, if I cant work it out I'll let you know.

Wayne

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Wayne,

When you export a photo from IPHOTO you are given the options of size and quality.

When you email the picture attach the file to the email then adjust the size in the dialog box at bottom right of apple mail.

Hope this helps

Regards

David

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thanks David, I think the problem is that I have been copying and pasting them from IPhoto.

I too have iPhoto but I don't use the "export" facility, I just drag the photo onto my desktop and then pick it up from there for emailing etc. If I need to downsize it before sending, I double click it from the desktop, it then opens in Preview and I change the size in Preview. (Preview also contains a surprising range of editing features too, if you look for them).
    It may sound a bit convoluted, but I find it much better than the "export" from within iPhoto.

Regards, Mike