Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: looks

looks

I was greeted with some lovely pink/purple hot pixels in the top left of my monitor on turning it on this morning so I've started Googling for a replacement. So far I've come up with:
    LG IPS226V or IPS236V
    Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS-1
    Viewsonic VP2365-LED

Anybody here know anything about any of these monitors? I particularly want an IPS panel as my main use will be for photos but my budget will be limited. These three seem to fit these criteria.

Ken

Real Name
    Richard

Re: looks

If you are not used to a wide screen monitor, you might find that the 23" (at least the Viewsonic) is smaller than you realize. I bought a 23" Viewsonic which is a wonderful. wonderful monitor for photo editing but, I wished that I had bought a 27" model (I couldn't afford that size at the time).

I am now using a Samsung 27" which is a much better size but, I have learned that it is doesn't seem as good for photo editing...

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    If you are not used to a wide screen monitor
    Oh I know all about wide screens, at work I have two x 21.5" wide screen monitors and frequently think I could do with a third

Back in the real world though, here at home, I'm confined to a fairly old 17" 4:3 lcd so the appearance of hot pixels is both a blessing - at last I can justify getting a decent monitor and a curse - lack of funds for such a new toy and the fact I've not really got room for the sort of dual monitor dream set up I'd like

Hence my selection of possibles being limited to 23" wide screens at the lower end of the price range.

I note your vote for a Viewsonic. Anyone else know anything about these monitors?

Ken

Real Name
    Allan Short

Here is a thought, I use a 30" Toshiba 1080P LCD tv. The colour is great, I use a colour monitor once every two weeks, varies very little from calbritation to calbritation. It gives a large enough viewing area in CS5 which means I am not always zooming in and out all the time. I got it last year just after christmas at a large box store for just under $300.00 before taxes. As I said just a thought.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I'm using an LG W2600H (26" wide) and love it, best monitor I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Here is a thought, I use a ... LCD tv.
    Yes, that thought also crossed my mind. I could try and hijack our new 32" Panasonic TV but there'd be a riot in the house if I did that! Also desk space is limited, hence the list I came up with are 22/23" ones.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I'm using an LG ...
    That sentiment chimes with our stuff I've read as I've Googled. The Viewsonic is possibly the 'best' but LG are so close and tend to be cheaper.

Ken

Real Name
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Yes, that thought also crossed my mind. I could try and hijack our new 32" Panasonic TV but there'd be a riot in the house if I did that! Also desk space is limited, hence the list I came up with are 22/23" ones.

Ken
    You could try getting a wall mount if that helps.

Real Name
    John

Back when I was in the market for a new monitor I found the the following website contained a wealth of good technical data on monitors and includes a way to compare 1 set against another.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/index2.html

I have a Dell U2311H and am pleased with it for the money paid. I'm running it as a second screen to my notebook oriented in portrait. I use a Spyder3Pro to calibrate it monthly and it doesn't drift much at all.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Ken
    Do yourself a favor. Take a point in time when the TV is not in use and temporarily hook it up to the PC to see if you would prefer a TV monitor over a PC monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Poaceae View Post
    Back when I was in the market for a new monitor I found the the following website contained a wealth of good technical data on monitors and includes a way to compare 1 set against another.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/index2.html
    Thanks, a useful site.

Ken