Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moon

Moon

So I have been trying for a long time to get a good moon shot, how do photographers keep the glare off the moon? I tried moving my f-stop, speeding up the shutter speed but I always get the glare. Any who, here are my shots from tonight, not so good as a moon but the trees make a nice pic.

Moon

Moon

Moon

Ryo

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Moon

Change your exposure meter to spot metering. This will make the camera meter from a tight area at the center dot. Adjust the exposure holding the center dot on the moon, then recompose and take your shot. Usually if you underexpose by 1/3 or 2/3 EV, it will be about right. Try to keep your shutter speed above 1/125, because the moon is actually moving. You may have to do a hdr and bracket your shots so you can get some detail in the trees.

Real Name
    Mike

Ryo,

The clouds just amplify the "glow" due to the amount of atmosphere the Moon's light is
    passing through. Always better on a clear night.

For Moon pics I start out with f/6.3, ISO 100 and about 1/250s exposure, and on fuller
    Moon's have gone as far as ISO 100 and 1/1000s and still got a good pic. The Moon is
    much brighter than we give it credit for, and that has to be accounted for when setting
    up for the shot.

Mike

The traditional setting for moon shots, Ryo, is F11 but don't take that as being the only option.

With your shots, having that tree in the foreground is likely to make everything a bit difficult to get correct, and if you have too slow a shutter speed you may get movement in the branches.

But the third shot has worked well; although to be absolutely perfect I would have preferred the moon to be just clear of the branches; or, for example, to be shining through a clear gap between branches

I didn't even think about spot metering. Out of the 45 pics last night I was playing from f4-22 and adjusting from 1/1.3-6" exposure. I should also mention I was using my 45-150mm and ISO from 100-400. Thanks for the information I will try again soon, preferably with less clouds.

Ryo

I will try again soon, preferably with less clouds.

If you get the cloud cover just right it can create a stunning more atmospheric scene which is better than a plain black sky. But it can limit the shutter speed if you have fast moving clouds

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I will try again soon, preferably with less clouds.

If you get the cloud cover just right it can create a stunning more atmospheric scene which is better than a plain black sky. But it can limit the shutter speed if you have fast moving clouds
    Try shooting the moon in daylight.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H...0619_0020a.jpg
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T...11104_9814.jpg

Thanks for all the help here is my image from this evening:

Moon

Ryo

That seems clear and sharp.