Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Whirling water

Real Name
    Gary

Whirling water

Used a longer exposure with no tripod so could be sharper but the intention worked! Any comments welcomed!

Cheers for now

Gary

Whirling water

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Whirling water

The technique of using a slow shutter speed works best when your camera is held steady using a tripod or some other type of rest. The comparison between very sharp rocks and vegetation and the swirling unsharp water is what I think makes most of these images work. If you don't have a tripod with you; bracing against a tree or a rock can sometimes help. Using a lens with some type of shake comensation (IS, OS. VC, etc) will sometimes allow you to get a shot like this at around 1/10 second or so with the surrounding areas relatively sharp. It will not totally blur the water but, I think it would be better than the entire image being blurred.

Real Name
    Kevin

Gary,

As one who was for far too long too darned lazy to mess with a tripod, I cannot emphasize enough how the lack of it will hold you back from the images you want. It's great fun (and instructive) to shoot a series of images such as yours above at a variety of shutter speeds and apertures and see the impact of the changes (as the tripod controls other variables). And if you really enjoy tack sharpness and shoot in anything other than bright light, the tripod is a must.

I have some experience with cheap tripods as well- if your budget allows, dont buy one unless your life mission is to confront frustration. But a lousy one is still better than none.
    Have Fun!

Kevin

Real Name
    John

Hi Gary,
    I must agree with Richard & Kevin; a tripod is a must, for this type of picture. But keep trying things that are different and not 'text book' they sometimes produce that 'magical shot' we are all after. Cheers

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Gary. Ideally you woud have a tripod with you, but in time you can develop techniques that can help overcome less than ideal conditions. For example, in this situation, there is a way to get the combination of blur in the water and sharp rocks and vegitation without a tripod. You could take two shots from as close to the same shooting location as possible. Shoot one for the sharp surroundings and the other for the water movement, then combine them in post processing. Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Gary

Hello and thank-you for your valuable comments. I will take onboard suggestions and use for future shots. Thanks!

Cheers for now

Gary