Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 550D in-build flash problem

Canon 550D in-build flash problem

Hi guys. For those of you that celebrate Christmas, I Hope you all has a nice day yesterday with family and loved one.

My Canon 550D is about 4 months old. I will take it back to the shop if no one on here knows a fix.

When I take the Speedlite 270ex off the camera and try to use the in-build camera it say this function is not available, until I turn off the Speedlite. The spitdlite isn't even attached to the camera. It's like the camera doesn't recognise the speedlite is off and taken off the camera.

This is a intermittent problem. Today we went to my father in-laws. I only took the camera but the flash wouldn't pop up. Kept saying mode if not available while external flash is attached.
    Came back just now. Tried again and the in-build flash popped up.

Anyone got any idea what is causing this?

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Canon 550D in-build flash problem

Weird.

Perhaps try to rest all menu items to their defaults and try again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Weird.

Perhaps try to rest all menu items to their defaults and try again ?

I tried that but it would let me in. Said unavailable while flash is attached. Been fine until a few days ago

If it is what I suspect, Dave, I have had the same problem and there is a simple answer.

When you connect an external flash there is a tiny plunger under a spring loaded small strip of steel which is on the external flash connection mount. If this gets stuck the camera will assume that the external flash is still connected and will not operate the built in flash.

It springs upwards when the external flash isn't used while connection forces the strips, and plunger, downwards.

In my case there was a little piece of grit which was keeping the sprung strips, and plunger, depressed. Check that these are operating correctly.

If it is permanent stickiness without any apparent cause I suggest you return the camera to the vendor. There is a way of stripping it down and rebuilding but I'm assuming you are still under guarantee. So, unless there is something obvious which is your fault, it is up to the guarantee to provide a cure.

I know what you're on about Geoff. I've given it a good blast of air and clean. I can't see any of the little pimple sticking so will just have to wait to see if it dose it again.

Like I say, sometime the in-build flash wont come up, sometime it does..... after a while.

Either way, I reckon this is the most likely answer. Can you definitely move that spring strip up and down, very carefully. Sometimes it gets slightly distorted and sticks against the sides.

Normally it is the strip on the right side, as you look through the eyepiece, which controls the locking peg.

It moves and all is clean Geoff. Since writing the op it's working again for now.