Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Three from Ferryside

rob marshall

Three from Ferryside

Taken a few days ago and just processed. My local beach, a few miles from the house. C&C welcome.

[IMG]Three from Ferryside Ferryside #1 by rob marshall images, on Flickr[/IMG]

Almost the same spot, but looks quite different, I thought

Three from Ferryside
    Ferryside #3 by rob marshall images, on Flickr

And just up the beach from there

Three from Ferryside
    Ferryside #2 by rob marshall images, on Flickr

Re: Three from Ferryside

For me, Rob, landscape scenes rarely seem to look right in portrait mode. But there isn't really any logic to that.

The first one, seems well balanced in all respects. The second feels a bit 'cramped' and 'top heavy' with too much sky. But once again, I can't fully explain why.

Even with the third, I have an urge to crop the sky a bit tighter, and loose a corresponding amount from both edges.

I suspect if it was a 'nice blue sky with some white fluffy clouds' I would feel different about it.

Is that any help?

Real Name
    Mal

The first one for me is excellent. I agree with Geoff on the second about feeling a bit unbalanced and cramped.

I like the third one as well and didn't notice the sky until Geoff mentioned it. On second glance I'm wondering hot it would look in a portrait frame as well.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Rob! I like the depth in the first one in particular but like Geoff and Malcome, think it would 'feel' more comfortable as a landscape shot. I keep wanting to look left and right but can't.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, Rob, landscape scenes rarely seem to look right in portrait mode. But there isn't really any logic to that.
    There probably is. I always think we must see in landscape mode. My horizontal vision seems to be greater than my vertical vision, so perhaps we naturally 'see' in landscape mode, and when we are confronted with a portrait mode landscape we feel it to be cramped. People portraits are different because the subject is normally more vertical than horizontal.

The second feels a bit 'cramped' and 'top heavy' with too much sky. But once again, I can't fully explain why.
    The horizon line is exactly on the third line. It probably looks more because a) the sky is quite bright, and b) that strip of water below the sky might get visually blended with the sky, making it look larger than it actually is. Optical illusion.

Even with the third, I have an urge to crop the sky a bit tighter, and loose a corresponding amount from both edges.

I suspect if it was a 'nice blue sky with some white fluffy clouds' I would feel different about it.

Is that any help?
    Colour version with cropped sky.

Three from Ferryside

Real Name
    Bobo

#1 for me. Though I do find the lowest "layer" a bit distracting.

Real Name
    Mark

No 3 for me.

Yes the cropped third one looks a lot better to me; but I think it would still be acceptable in B&W.

I like the first one. Everyone shot these in landscape mode and this is different.

Real Name
    Philip

I like all these photos in colour, Rob, and especially number 1. Also I don't mind the portrait shots - as Frank has commented, portrait helps to give the depth to the scene. However, I think number 2 looks a bit harsh - it looks better to me when its contrast is similar to number 1:

Three from Ferryside

Philip

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    However, I think number 2 looks a bit harsh - it looks better to me when its contrast is similar to number 1:

Three from Ferryside
    Yes, I think you are right. As I said, I was in the same spot at the same time, so it must have been the way I processed them differently. It does look better with a softer look. I tend to go overboard with the clarity slider sometimes.