Thread: Help -Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 with Canon 7D

Real Name
    Dona Nazareth

Help -Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 with Canon 7D

Hi, I have been trying the following settings: In order to do some Light Painting:

Bulb Mode
    F16
    Shutter: 2 Mins (Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 settings)
    Timer 2 Minutes (Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 settings)

The remote switch just doesnt seem to do what I tell it to. It clicked immediately & exposure for 30" (max camera allows)

I went into M- Mode set timer to 2" remote, & Shutter to 30" secs (Max on cam)
    Went to Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 settings set delay to 2 mins & exposure to 2 mins. It clicked in 2 secs & exposed for 2 minutes...

I have read the manual I know I am just missing the plot somewhere silly... any help would be muchly appreciated... Thanks a Heap

Real Name
    Dona Nazareth

Re: Help -Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 with Canon 7D

Fellow members- I am saved! Im leaving this post here for others who might just miss the plot like myself. I figured it out. I had multiple shots in my camera settings, so it dint quite work. Once, I set it to "Single shot" it worked like butter. Hope it helps any other silly like myself.

Real Name
    Kathy

Um.... forgive me, but... er... the "B" mode on the dial? That's bulb mode. You actually can set more than 30" on the camera.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    You beat me to it. Was going to ask What you shooting mode was. Glad to see you figured it out. Now the fun begins. Good luck.

Real Name
    Dona Nazareth

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Um.... forgive me, but... er... the "B" mode on the dial? That's bulb mode. You actually can set more than 30" on the camera.
    I dont know how to Inkista. Please advice. Thanks heaps!

Real Name
    Bryan

The dial on the top left has C3-C2-C1-"B"-M-...
    Turn this dial to "B". This puts the camera into "Bulb" mode and allows you to get exposures greater than 30'. The way it works, and you want to use your release, is that once you press the button the shutter opens then once you release the button the shutter closes. Many releases have a "lock" that will keep the button pressed for you. And you are responsible for timing it yourself.

Real Name
    Dona Nazareth

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Denning View Post
    The dial on the top left has C3-C2-C1-"B"-M-...
    Turn this dial to "B". This puts the camera into "Bulb" mode and allows you to get exposures greater than 30'. The way it works, and you want to use your release, is that once you press the button the shutter opens then once you release the button the shutter closes. Many releases have a "lock" that will keep the button pressed for you. And you are responsible for timing it yourself.
    Thanks BJD-

I use the timer & the long exposure through the remote..
    I do most of my light painting when Im alone (Boredom=doing exciting stuff)
    I will keep this tip in mind, however most of the time, it's hard to turn off lights that are swinging in the night shot & run to the camera to switch off the timer- a using presets remain an only option in such a situaion.. correct me if I'm wrong..