Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Christmas Photos - Part 3

Real Name
    Brian

Christmas Photos - Part 3

I have had this photo in my head for months, and I didn't quite pull it off here, but got 90% of it. Thoughts?

Christmas Photos - Part 3

Real Name
    Kay

Re: Christmas Photos - Part 3

Hi Brian
    I first of all think it's great to work to a plan, makes the final success that much better!.
    I like the fact that not everything in the image is lit evenly, yet each facet of lighting contributes to its subject & the whole....
    So sharp on puppy's face too, which is the arresting part of the image, then one has time to sit back & appreciate the rest.
    The only thing that doesn't seem to fit for mine is the nutcracker/little drummer in the background, although it does perhaps balance out some of the space, I'm just not sure about it....

Real Name
    Brian

Kay, thanks for you comments!
    The nutcracker was intentionally placed in the background, however I think I was but too ambitious with my expectations for my not-quite-two-year-old model. I couldn't quite get everything to line quite the way I wanted. My puppy wasn't feeling good and I the only times I got the expression I was looking for I didn't quite get the focus right (darn my 50 f1.8 for that!). I could used a shallower DOF but I wanted the tree kinda blurry, plus that would have messed up the brightness of the background.
    Maybe I'll try this again when my model is feeling better. I didn't quite hit the mark here. Any comments on the plate in the foreground? Is it too OOF or OK or not in the right spot?
    Thanks

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Any comments on the plate in the foreground? Is it too OOF or OK or not in the right spot?
    Thanks
    I wasn't sure what it was all about tbh; is it;
    Santa asking where his mince pie is (the dog ate it)
    Santa teasing the dog "look - only crumbs left for you"

Should the dog (you must give us a name) be looking at the plate rather than Santa?

I think it is about the correct amount of oof, but the black mitten(?) holding it is where I'd expect to see a hand

Cheers,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Brian. Nice sharp capture. The dog's expression reminds my of the 'Where's the beef?' TV commercial of old!

I think the nutcracker would work if the entire object, or at lest if its head, could be seen.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Dave and Frank, I agree with your comments except maybe about the black mitten - everyone knows Santa has black mittens! That and I'm pretty sure my 12 year old daughter's hand wouldn't work well in this shot. Hopefully I get to try this shot again soon, I have some different ideas for it.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I'm not experienced enough to really comment as far as composition goes - but I'm in love with the dog!

PS: Where I was growing up, Santa wore white gloves!

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Kris,
    You have all the experience you need to tell me what you like or do not like about the photo. This is why I post it here, to get comments from others and learn how I might make it better

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Hi Kris,
    You have all the experience you need to tell me what you like or do not like about the photo.
    What's not to like? I would love to get a picture like that as a Christmas card!

Real Name
    Brian

That's good feedback too!
    Believe it or not googled Santa's gloves before attempting this photo. It seems black is most common for mr Kringle, though he has often been spotted in white as well Red and green are less common.