Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: And On To Something Completely Different For Me...

Real Name
    Mal

And On To Something Completely Different For Me...

So I've decided to do a bit more experimenting and capture a series of shots of my wife (who graciously has allowed me to post some of them here for C&C) This was just something I spotted while attempting some silhouette/boudoir for the first time - the reflection in a window (a rather dirty one at that). In any case, I'm interested to hear thoughts about what's captured here - and which treatment works best. The first one is my preference but I had a play with the other two just to see how they'd come out.

Thanks!

Last edited by Goldcoastgolfer; 11th December 2011 at 07:57 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: And On To Something Completely Different For Me...

Hi Malcolm,

I like the colour of #1 with the clearer face in the reflection of #3.

The contrast enhancements on #2 has brought in too many other artefacts on subject and glass to make up for the even clearer face reflection and I find the reflection of her bra grabs too much attention (I can't believe I just said that )

Trouble is, if you clean the window, you'll then have to tidy the yard beyond

I wonder if it was possible for both you and your lovely wife to have moved slightly (together - need to maintain you relative positions) to get the reflection over a less cluttered background?

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Malcolm,

I like the colour of #1 with the clearer face in the reflection of #3.

The contrast enhancements on #2 has brought in too many other artefacts on subject and glass to make up for the even clearer face reflection and I find the reflection of her bra grabs too much attention (I can't believe I just said that )

Trouble is, if you clean the window, you'll then have to tidy the yard beyond

I wonder if it was possible for both you and your lovely wife to have moved slightly (together - need to maintain you relative positions) to get the reflection over a less cluttered background?

Hope that helps,
    It was a hotel room (Christmas party which was a bit far from home) so the positions that we could move around in were a bit limited. I had a look at some of the other photos with the different positions that we tried to remove some of the clutter and I think the above was the best of the bunch (see below for the other positions).

Anyway - it was a bit of a fun for a spur of the moment thing and I at least got her interested in trying out more later on. She only agreed to let me put them up here because you all know what you're talking about so highlight whatever you need to highlight

I'll post a few of the other shots later if anyone's interested in commenting on them.

Real Name
    John

Hi Malcolm,
    I think picture #3 in your 1st post is the best in this set.
    'Boudoir photography' is extremely hard to get right and as you say this was done on the spur of the moment, not a bad first attempt. Well done

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Hi Malcolm,
    I think picture #3 in your 1st post is the best in this set.
    'Boudoir photography' is extremely hard to get right and as you say this was done on the spur of the moment, not a bad first attempt. Well done
    Thanks John. Pic #3 was my original intended vision but I found some other treatments in Lightroom which I found interesting. I'll format some of the other pictures in the same treatment as #3 to compare the look.

For me, Malcolm, you need both the model and the reflection to be reasonably sharp in order for this to work well. Which unfortunately means combining two differently focused shots.

But there is quite a bit of latitude in having a rather dirty window so it should be possible.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, Malcolm, you need both the model and the reflection to be reasonably sharp in order for this to work well. Which unfortunately means combining two differently focused shots.
    Geoff - I know what you mean regarding both images being sharp. If I'd thought about it at the time I would have taken another shot with a larger depth of field. However at the time my vision for this shoot given limited ilghting and a slightly uncomfortable model was to have just silhoettes of her form against the window. I've pasted a link below rather than put up anymore images to avoid upsetting anyone else (although I guess if they get this far into the thread it's too late)

Silhouettes in a Window

Ignore the legs shot incidentally - it's not part of the theme - I just like that shot

On the subject of offending and upsetting people, this was obviously never my intention. Given that in this day and age you're likely to see more in your local shopping catalogue that gets dropped in your mailbox, it never occurred that the above shots were "risque". I don't believe that there is anyting provocative about the poses and that it is a less revealing shot than my wife in her bikini at the beach....

Anyway - moving on. C&C for those that are willing still very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Goldcoastgolfer; 12th December 2011 at 08:56 PM.

Yes, those silhouettes do work.

Real Name
    Stephen

I like the shots very much Malcolm. I took countless rolls of film of 'the trouble & strife' when we were younger of which many were risque.
    Have a look on the internet for old risque postcards....they gave me many ideas for poses, composition etc

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Steveuk View Post
    I like the shots very much Malcolm. I took countless rolls of film of 'the trouble & strife' when we were younger of which many were risque.
    Have a look on the internet for old risque postcards....they gave me many ideas for poses, composition etc
    Thanks Stephen. I think after my wife saw the results she became a lot more open to doing it again.