Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Two from US Capitol

Two from US Capitol

Both taken with Nikon D90 & Sigma 10-20

@10mm
    Two from US Capitol

@20mm
    Two from US Capitol
    Last edited by eNo; 9th May 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Re: Two from US Capitol

Excellent clarity and depth of field. Interesting angles as well.

Thanks. Would you mind explaining what clarity is? I've heard it spoken about, but I can't figure out what it is.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by eNo View Post
    Would you mind explaining what clarity is?
    In essence, simply "How clear it is". Think of a scene taken on a clear day, and one taken with fog around ... the former would inherantly have more clarity (in basic terms).

Real Name
    Jeroen

Nice pictures you've got there.

But it would be nice to see some more contrast in the photo's. The thing I like in black-white pictures are when they show a large contrast with nearly black zones as well as nearly white zones and a whide spread between them (don't know if my dutch-english makes sense to you). These photo's are quite gray over all, and don't have stong highlights or shadows. Maybe you can tweak this a bit with photoshop. I guess it would make the photo's more interesting and it would add some more atmosphere and tension.

regards

Thanks, JK. You are right. There are blacks, but, even though we get close in the 2nd shot, no pure whites. Unfortunately, it was quite overcast and late in the day, so the lighting was not in favor of contrast. As it is, I had to PP to bring out shadows while keeping a potentially bright/gray sky in check, so yes, that's going to reduce range in contrast. I'll have to take a look at adding contrast, but I have a feeling these aren't the sorts of shots that will benefit from it.

Real Name
    Jeroen

No, I think it wouldn't give a nice result when you really try to add contast instead of just improving it in photoshop. So basiccaly the photo should have a large contrast of itselve which could than be improved in photoshop. Things a would recommend to make series of photos with a bigger contrast is shooting in bright daylight or by night. (I recently got a nice result out of taking a picture of the Rathaus in Vienna by night, which was lit, and make a black-white out of it.)