Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lighthouse lit

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Lighthouse lit

I posted this as an example, but CnC?
    Big Tub lighthouse, Tobermory, Ontario.
    Off camera flash, used three times moving around the lighthouse.
    Graham
    160s, f11, ISO 200.
    Lighthouse lit

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lighthouse lit

That's a lovely sky, Graham. Good use of long exposure. And a clever idea going round with the flash unit.

I wondered if it needs all that rock at the bottom, or whether there could have been a slight crop in order to also take the base of the lighthouse further down the frame?

And ... Tobermory. Had to have been founded by a Scotsman. And, more specifically, someone from the Island of Mull.

Real Name
    Nigel
    Very nicely captured. Like the use of the flash.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Donald, I loved the limstone paving with the leaing lines, so I wanted to maintain some of that. Perhaps I should lighten it a little more. I didn't want it to compete with the lighthouse too much.

For those who try this themselves, I placed my hand between the flash and the camera to prevent flare. Also something to consider is NOT to stand between the flash lit area and the camera. I have a couple of pics with my dark silhouette showing clearnly (dark area against the trees where the rest of the trees are lit, not shown in this image). Of course for those who are more creative, try it deliberately and show us how it can be a good thing.
    Graham

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Donald, I loved the limstone paving with the leaing lines, so I wanted to maintain some of that. Perhaps I should lighten it a little more. I didn't want it to compete with the lighthouse too much.
    I take your point. Very sensible. Anything to lighten it would, I think, have to be very subtle.