Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Alone, naturally!

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Alone, naturally!

Available light only. All comments welcome.

Alone, naturally!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Alone, naturally!

Ramachandran

You have captured the chracacter of the man very well.

I wondered about cropping it more tightly, so that there is less space above his head?

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Thank you, Donald. But will it not cut off the pattern created by the wavelets?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Pappadi View Post
    Thank you, Donald. But will it not cut off the pattern created by the wavelets?
    Yes, but are they the subject of the picture, or is it the man? Can it be both? If you keep the wavelets, do they not compete for attention and draw some of that attention away from the man?

Real Name
    António Correia

Well, here I go for some comments Ramachandran.

On the technical aspect I like the image because of the lens used, the sharpness and the effect introduced.
    The long tele is an advantage in these situations indeed. Not only by the effect itself - the smashing one - but also it helps to keep the distance to get the subject at ease.

However I do not like the crop you have made. Sorry. I do not know why you don't have his knee inside the frame. Perhaps you are like me who uses the central point for focusing and forget to check the composition. Under my point of view, this is an error which I try to correct but keep doing.

But I have seen much "recognized" images from well known photographers with legs or feet cut. So... it all depends on our personal point of view and I am expressing mine here of course.

Perhaps you have other photographs taken on the same ghat with a better composition.

Can I please see another one ?

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yes, but are they the subject of the picture, or is it the man? Can it be both? If you keep the wavelets, do they not compete for attention and draw some of that attention away from the man?
    The man is the subject,surely. But when I looked through the view finder, I was seeing the wavelets and my eyes came back to him fast. I waited for a second for his expression to change from outright curiosity. He didnt change much though.After I clicked he looked down and his face was no more visible.
    When I saw the image on the monitor,I realized that the pattern behind him would perhaps add to the pathos. Well, I think I was not correct fully and did not convey what I felt!

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    But I have seen much "recognized" images from well known photographers with legs or feet cut. So... it all depends on our personal point of view and I am expressing mine here of course.

Perhaps you have other photographs taken on the same ghat with a better composition.

Can I please see another one ?
    Obrigado,Antonio.
    It seems I mutilate legs many a times. Intentional sometimes, unconscious other times. Please see two of my leg-cuts.
    The images were scaled down for web. No crop. I hadn't thought of uploading them.
    Leg Cut_1
    Alone, naturally!
    Leg Cut_2
    Alone, naturally!

The knee of the old man (first image)was cut intentionally because, I felt, when I did so, I made contact with the subject. It happens when the subject moves me deeply. In some cases I would regret afterwards!

Real Name
    António Correia

Namasthe Ramachandran
    Shukriya for posting two other images showing what you - and me - are doing wrong.

I like the last image. Indeed it needs 1 or 2 cms more at the bottom
    You were almost there...

Real Name
    António Correia

I was looking for one photograph of my own with this "problem" but I have no time now.
    I am trying do work on another image which I will post later and I have to learn to do something to apply on it and that takes me some time.