Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Middle School Formal

Real Name
    Kay

Middle School Formal

My friend worked as VAL as I took some images of her son before his school yr 9 Formal Dance.

Your advice on steps for my improvement is always appreciated.

Middle School Formal

Middle School Formal

Middle School Formal

Middle School Formal

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Middle School Formal

Hi Kay,
    All are good. I like 2 the best cos of the background (nicely OOF but still recognisable) and 3 cos of the indirect eyes.
    Poses are good, lighting is good. Your skills here are showing through well. The model is acting well and seems relaxed. So many good things going on.
    In summary, Camera - good, composition - good, content - needs a little work (below). (There is a fourth C but I can't remember it).
    There is an awful lot of detail in his skin, which I know is unavoidable. But perhaps a little judicious treatment to allow HIM (and the best possible him) to shine through a little more. I feel that the camera has not been kind to his skin, and I am pretty sure that it is alot better in real life (honest, I look WAY bigger in a photo). A little spot healing of the most visibile blemishes, and a touch of blurring (or favoured treatment) on the skin to reduce the texture a little (but not to make it unrealistic). Perhaps also a little desaturation on the red channel as well.
    All very subjective. I have had 80 year old women ask to be made to look 40, also some who are 250-300 to not do ANY thing at all.

Graham

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Kay!
    I agree with Graham's comments about the skin.
    I think all of the photos have good separation of the subject from the background, this a result of your good choice of lighting, so well done there. I like the last one because he seems the most 'natural' looking, and there is a little glint in his eyes
    I tried to retouch the photo on here, but.... well not much data to work with it, but here is a retouched version anyway. Nice job on the eyes btw
    I would be interested to try the full size and/or larger file if you are.
    Any better?

Middle School Formal

PS, white tie with black clothes, not my first choice of colors for a photo.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Good job on the skin, Brian.

Graham

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Graham.
    Just a super quick edit on my part.

Real Name
    Richard

There are some folks who say that every photograph must be exactly like the photographer saw the subject. I am not a member of that group. Having had a bad complexion when I was in my early teens, I know how painful it was when I was reminded of my skin problems in a picture. Somehow, the mirror did not cause the same type of angst that a picture did.

Any help that the photographer can provide when shooting a subject, whether it is in the lighting or post processing is, IMO, a good thing. I am not sure that the reality Gestapo will agree, but if they arrest you, I'll help bail you out!

Real Name
    Kay

Both my children would agree wholeheartedly there with you Richard & Thankyou Brian that is a great edit - mental note to ask the family diplomatically first, how they would like this approached.

Real Name
    Brian

I'm not sure I would ask. I would just do SOME smoothing and show them. If they ask tell them you did 'just a little' retouching, 'hope you don't mind'.
    I have made a few small edits on some photos I have done for others, and no one has ever asked about it, just thanks and that looks good!
    I know when I had senior photos my complexion wasn't all that great and I was glad to see that this looked better in my photo
    This was never discussed with the photog, before or after.

In the end, I think this is the expectation when you get your photo 'done', as opposed to a snap shot.

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with Brian... I don't think I would ask.

Real Name
    Kay

Thanks Gentlemen, all good advice....

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I've done this experiment with a group of around 50 people.
    All of them liked the image I gave them. All images were 'adjusted' (I call it photorejuvenation).
    When I told them about the alterations, the response was hugely varied from NO, NO, NO, all the way to YES, YES, YES.
    Now, I adjust and don't tell them. That way everyone is happy, otherwise some would not be satisfied with their image. Everyone has a different body image and set of ethics. Life is too short to get into discussions like that with everyone.

Graham
    An image is MY representation of the world, unless someone pays me to show theirs.

Real Name
    Louise

Hello, I do like the last pose, relaxed and a twinkle in the eyes. I do agree also that an outside picture where you have no control over the light may be retouched if only to portrait the skin color to a more normal tone, here the red is too strong as seen on the hands for exemple.
    Bad skin problems will pass, your picture will last.