Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Girl playing a violin.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Girl playing a violin.

This is Kate practicing her violin lessons.

Girl playing a violin.
    Nikon D70, 50mm lens, ISO 800, f/2.2 @ 1/320 second.

I Got some time to bring the camera with me while waiting for Kate to finish her music lesson at school. I asked the teacher if he would allow me to take some shots of my kid and he gladly said yes.

The music booth is really small. It's about 7 feet wide by 9 feet deep and 8 feet high. To make the situation worse, I brought along a 50mm lens (equivalent to a 75mm lens since the Nikon D70 is a DX camera with a 1.5X crop factor) instead of the other 18-70mm lens. The room was lit by a fluorescent fixture on the ceiling so there is not much dramatic lighting that I was hoping for with available light. I love the personality of the 50mm lens specially at f/2. It gives me that good subject to background separation that I can't get with the 18-70mm due to its smaller aperture limit of f/4.5. Luckily, the small, upright piano inside the music booth has less than 2 feet of space from a wall so I squeezed myself on that space so I can still capture Kate's face and the full length of the violin. That's how tight the space was.

I decided to shoot this one at ISO 800 based on what I've read about some wedding photographers shooting at ISO 800 using only common available light. I knew that my Nikon D70 doesn't perform that good at ISO 800 being "noisy" but I don't mind. What I am after is the feel of the situation and the only way I can do that is to shoot at a higher ISO so I can have some control on the shutter speed. I decided to go with B&W even before I shot this one since the inherent noise grain would look better on the conversion.

Thanks for viewing.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Girl playing a violin.

Willie

There's a very black line running up the side of her left hand (on the neck of the violin). It looks like an artifact rather than a shadow. It keeps taking my attention away from the rest of the image.

Real Name

care to circle it for me? I can't seem to notice it. Thanks.

Real Name
    Peter

I think the black line Donald was talking about is the shadow from her left little finger.

However, I don't think it is a problem at all. I think you have done a great job with the capture. Well done.

Real Name
    Andrew

Nice shot Willie - as per usual....

Real Name

Thanks a lot, Ricco and Andrew for the warm comments.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Jiro,
    I like the composition. I can relate to the difficulties of taking photos of kids playing music - I have two kids in band and the only time they play in decent light is at home
    I don't see any issues with your ISO 800. I sometimes use ISO 1600 myself, though I find ISO 3200 often disappointing. ISO 800 I use with confidence, though at higher ISO's I do try to compose to avoid as much cropping as possible.
    Good photo.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    I think the black line Donald was talking about is the shadow from her left little finger.
    Yep, that's it. I could understand a shadow getting thrown onto the next of the violin, but not onto the background beyond, as is the case with the lower part of the hand, below her finger.

Girl playing a violin.