Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Playing in the fall.

Real Name
    Lynn Fox

Playing in the fall.

Alright, here's another one I shot lately that I think isn't too bad. Let's get some opinions on how to improve it please

Playing in the fall.

Real Name
    Mal

Re: Playing in the fall.

My first thought is that I think a tighter crop would probably work better while still be able to capture the leaves around to highlight that it's fall.

The light on the faces of your family looks a bit dark relative to the leaves - A reflector perhaps to bounce back some light onto their faces might help here.

I think the hat on your husband's head covers up a bit too much of his face. It's just taking away from his eyes too much.

The other thing I noticed when looking at the photo is that the way the leaves make lines across the photo make me want to tilt my head to the right slightly. Not sure what it would look like if it was rotated a little just to make the lines running across the photo a bit more horizontal?

Anyway - comments from someone who is very, very green too so take mine with a grain of salt!

Real Name
    Nigel
    A bit of a tighter crop and perhaps try to lift the shadows a bit but a lovely picture to keep.

Real Name
    John

Hi Lynn,
    I agree, a nice family shot.
    It would be worth trying some of the suggestions the guys have proposed above and see if you think they improve you picture.

Real Name
    Reynold Mainse

Beautiful family, I took the liberty to do what the others were suggesting.
    Cropped, lightened the faces, added a little more vibrance, sharpened the eyes, and tilted the photo to the left
    Playing in the fall.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

I think it is a great family pic. From a photographic standpoint I'd say the focus is a tick soft across the faces and the pooch at least on my monitor. Without seeing the camera settings its hard to know if there are any quick adjustments that would correct the shot but it seems a little deeper field is in order. The light on the right side of the four is a bit blown as well. Perhaps a deeper F-stop would correct both. Nonetheless, it is a fun image with great feeling.

Real Name
    Lynn Fox

Thank you. I really just ran outside with my camera when I saw them playing. It would *never* have turned out half as well if I had posed them. There would have been cheesy smiles for sure and look at how our dog is even lined up nicely in the shot. I am really interested in any camera settings I could have adjusted to improve the outcome as I am sure there will be a lot more opportunities like this in the future.

According to the exif data:
    ISO 100
    F 5.6
    Exposure time 1/250 sec

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I am really interested in any camera settings I could have adjusted to improve the outcome as I am sure there will be a lot more opportunities like this in the future.

According to the exif data:
    ISO 100
    F 5.6
    Exposure time 1/250 sec
    Hi Lynn,

I think the base iso for the D3100 is 200, so I wouldn't go below that, especially with a wide dynamic range shot like this (pale bits very bright sunlight to dark bits in shadow) - you don't need to worry about noise this much

Personally, I'd have probably shot a stop down on exposure as I think there is some over exposure on cheeks and noses.

With those 2 stops gained, I'd have gone for f/8, for a bit more DoF (depth of field) and 1/500s for less chance of subject movement blur.

If you've said elsewhere, forgive me for asking (again); but are you shooting RAW and what PP software do you have?

Never-the-less, you did well to frame with a fairly non cluttered background and the composition isn't bad, if a little 'loose' (or too wide) as has already been said, but I think if you'd got closer with that 50mm lens (which is it?), you'd have suffered perspective distortion and possibly put your subjects off by crowding them too close.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Lynn Fox

Thanks Dave,
    You haven't asked before I am not currently shooting RAW although I know the camera is capable. Perhaps I should start? The file sizes can be immense I fear... I am using Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro X3 for editing.
    I used a Nikkor AF-S 55 - 200mm lens for this shot.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfox1975 View Post
    Thank you. I really just ran outside with my camera when I saw them playing. It would *never* have turned out half as well if I had posed them.
    One thing that a professional photographer told me a few weeks ago during a course was to strike up a conversation with your subjects on a topic of interest to them or something them might find funny if you're trying to get a certain posed shot with natural expressions. It's easier if you're set up with a tripod and can stick your head up from behind the camera to do it but I've tried it with my kids and it seems to work well.