Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Slipper Orchids

Slipper Orchids

The following are Slipper Orchids that bloom in late Autumn. C&C welcome, and I know I should be using a greater depth of field.

Slipper Orchids

Slipper Orchids

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Slipper Orchids

Hi Bill,

Tough subject; that waxy stuff on the bottom halves gives specular highlights that are gonna "blow" every time in direct sunlight.

For me, although the background is well surpressed exposure wise, the straight vertical line is still a distraction.

If you have RAWs maybe something could be done with an exposure blend between layers?

Or when shooting, introduce a difuser between the sun and the blooms? I guessing here, that may look rubbish.

If, and once the highlights are under control, it might then be worth attempting something with the edge in the background. clone over to fade it out, may look unnatural though.

Good luck,

Real Name
    Chris

I suspect the highlights are from having used flash to improve the lighting. The detail and DOF seem adequate to me for the subject.

Have you tried time exposures Bill? I suppose you would have to also use a background selected to be dark but natural. Or are they in a pot that can be taken outside?

A piece of tissue paper over the flash is a good poor man's diffuser if all else fails.

Not bothered about anything in the background as it stands.

No flash used, just natural sunlight. I think I'll do a bit of cheating in The Gimp.