Thread: Path To Camp

Real Name
    Rob

Path To Camp

C&C please! I am looking to improve, I have noticed in most of my photographs my composition was awful.

Path To Camp
    PathToCamp by Tygart, on Flickr

Re: Path To Camp

Hi Rob,
    From the title, I am assuming that the main focus of this photo should be the actual path; however, the trees comprise more than half of the photo. That is the first thing that stands out to me. I'm thinking that maybe trying to get the path from another angle would work. Either standing on the path and take the shot, or trying to find a way to take the shot from above the path.That way the path would show up after the curve... right now the grass is too high to see the path actually going to to the camp.

Hope these suggestions help. I think your idea is good and I look forward to seeing what you can come up with, if you are able to revisit this place.
    frankie

Real Name
    Rob

Thanks for the pointers Frankie! I don't think I really took the time to compose this photo, I liked the scene, and took it., time for me to slow down.

I am sure I will be posting here a lot, (If I can get a chance to get outside). I want to get more serious about my photos, I have learned a lot just form CIC tutorial page.
    Last edited by Tygart; 30th November 2011 at 05:00 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Tygart View Post
    Thanks for the pointers Frankie! I don't think I really to the time to compose this photo, I liked the scene, and took it., time for me to slow down.
    Rob
    You've just answered your own question. Well done. That is called 'learning'.

Composition is all about looking. And that takes time. Remember, for every landscape subject you plan to photograph, there are 360 degrees round the way and 180 degrees up the way (until you hit the ground again) from which you can shoot that scene. Finding the right location takes time. And that's after you've studied what you propose to shoot and confirmed that it's going to work once you take it out of the whole context in which you are at that moment, and imagined how it's going to look in a little rectangle on a compuiter screen.
    Last edited by Donald; 30th November 2011 at 05:18 PM.

Real Name
    Rob

Donald

Thank you for the reply, I think that is the main problem with all my photographs...
    I am sure I will have more to post. I have a lot to improve.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Rob! there are many folks here, like Frankie and Donald, that can help you to 'see' the composition and improve your technique. Just keep posting your images and, if possible, ask us about the specific area you are wanting to improve and we can help you to learn how to 'see' (along with many other aspects of photography)!

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Rob! there are many folks here, like Frankie and Donald, that can help you to 'see' the composition and improve your
    technique. Just keep posting your images and, if possible, ask us about the specific area you are wanting to improve and we can help you to learn how to 'see' (along with many other aspects of photography)!
    Thanks Frank I will be asking lots of questions I am sure!
    Anything I post is up for Critique