Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cornwall

Real Name
    John Wright

Cornwall

We went to Cornwall for a break but I had a nasty virus doing the rounds nationwide over here - I still have it. As a result I lacked any will to get out photographing but managed a couple of days and one sunrise the day before we left for home. Here's a few of what I got- the colour on the village is as it was and lasted only a few minutes as the angle of the sun's rays increased. Unfortunately the skies were overcast most of the time.

The bird. I've asked a couple of bird people and they can't identify it-it was on the cliff top where I took the green wave photo and stayed there long enough for me to get closer and closer before it flew off. I'm wondering if it was tired, a migrant bird perhaps that had flown across from the US east coast. Anyone over there recognise it ? I'll maybe have to put it on a wildlife/bird forum.

This is Cadgewith near Lizard Point
    Cornwall

Cornwall

Cornwall

Cornwall

Cornwall

Cornwall

Cornwall

From Cliff top-Predannack
    Cornwall

Cornwall

Porthleven
    Cornwall

Disused Lifeboat slipway-Coverack
    Cornwall

Poldhu.
    Cornwall

Cornwall

Unknown Bird-cliffs at Predannack
    Cornwall

Cornwall

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Cornwall

Sorry John, but I find it impossible to provide C & C on a set of 15 images all in one post. I wasn't sure what sort of feedback you were looking for.

The bird is probably one the legendary Cider Dippers that can often be found staggering around Cornish villages.

The only other thing I can think of is a juvenile Wheatear. This spell of mild weather is delaying some migratory species by a few weeks.

And you probably already know that the mushroom is a Parasol Mushroom. They are also appearing a little later this year.

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks both. Not to worry Donald- I realised that 15 were too many for any meaningful CC ,I still feel grotty and just thought I'd post them for viewing. I think the village one (daylight) is pretty flawed if there's anything sticking out like a sore thumb with any of them that would be useful, thanks... we go twice a year so I could right any wrongs at the same locations.

Geoff..Well, a wheatear. I think you're right because there were a couple of adult wheatears behind me, I looked hard at them and this bird but the colouring was different-more of that rusty red but as you'll know colours change not only from juvenile to adult but year 1 and two and winter and summer-I think to ID a bird can be quite difficult,unless it's obvious and takes a lot of experience .. if you google juvenile wheatear 'images' (I've just done it)the 4th. one matches well-the url for these googled images is very long so I won't post it but I'll settle for a juvenile wheatear having looked at the cider dipper-there's only a couple of images of this bird the rest of the page is about cider drinking lol. Thanks