Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Exit from Pittenweem Harbour

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Exit from Pittenweem Harbour

The 4th and last of the images I made as a result of my wanderings around St Andrews and the East Neuk of Fife over the weekend just past. The other 3 are here, here and here.

This was captured just before sunrise. The sun was coming up on my left and light was starting to hit the harbour wall on my right. The hour before actual sunrise had been spectacular. And this was after a storm the night before, during the high tide. In fact just behind me and to my left, the seaweed was right up against the walls of houses. 5 or 6 hours before I captured this, there was no way I could have stood on this spot.

Your thoughts about whether you consider this a good image or not, how it could be improved, etc., will always be appreciated.

Exit from Pittenweem Harbour
    40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 53mm. ISO100. 0.7s@f8

Re: Exit from Pittenweem Harbour

All I can say is it would look great framed and hanged on the wall in my mums cottage. She lives in a little cottage outside Aberdeen by the sea.
    Great stuff Donald.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave - Thank you for commenting.

Your mum's cottage probably got quite a battering on Saturday night. Hope all is okay.

I could do a series - The Fishing Harbours of the East Coast of Scotland. Always fascinating places.

There are still a few boats go out of Pittenweem but, like everywhere else, vastly reduced numbers compared with 20 years ago.

A few loose tiles is the norm for them
    They live in a place called Newtonhill. I lived there with them from 11-17. Really lovely old place. Second oldest cottage in Newtonhill (or back before it was changed to Newtonhill, Skateraw).

Your picture brings back a lot of childhood memories for me.
    My step-dad would really love would you have manage to photograph too.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    That's a great capture as is Donald. I think you nailed it. I love the composition, along with the contrast being spot on & sharp. Great job capturing a breaking wave too. I don't thing the image would have the same power to it with flat seas. I look forward to the series if you put one together.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    I don't thing the image would have the same power to it with flat seas.
    You're quite right, Rob. It wouldn't have worked at all.

I had shot a couple of frames and wasn't seeing that breaking wave. And then the wind picked up again and things got more 'choppy'. It was a case of right place, right time.