Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: West Sands, St Andrews #2

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

West Sands, St Andrews #2

This was captured during the same session as this one.

I spent some time wondering how much structure and contrast to put into the sky and decided that this slightly more subtle approach than could have been applied, better captured the mood as I felt it at the time. It was very windy. The sand was blowing and the clouds were whizzing by overhead.

As always, your analysis, comments and criticism are appreciated.

40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS @ 70mm. ISO400. 1/45@f5.6.

Real Name
    Bill

Re: West Sands, St Andrews #2

I like it the way it is Donald, Like the minimalistic approach you have taken, Some would say to much negative space in the top half , Just my type of image , Well done mate , Very nice

Real Name
    Ramachandran

That is quite a subtle image. Well thought out. The foreground is, according to me a little too much. Differences in view on the concept of space. I would rather have some more sky up above and the dynamics of the clouds brought out a little more with levels.
    I dont know if I am permitted to do this. I have changed your image and it came out misserably poor. It proves that words will not bring about results.I am sorry.
    I have cut off the bottom a bit, scaled up the top and adjusted levels minutely.
    Apologies.
    donald__rrp2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Pappadi View Post
    The foreground is, according to me a little too much. Differences in view on the concept of space. I would rather have some more sky up above and the dynamics of the clouds brought out a little more with levels.
    Ramachandran - I always welcome others seeking to contribute to discussion on my work. And, very often, using a re-worked version of the image is a good way of illustrating the point that a person wishes to make. So, there is no need to apologise to me for what you've done.

That being said, it is not a format ratio with which I would feel comfortable. As you can see, I have chosen a 1:1 (square) format. I don't like such an elongated portrait format. I prefer the balance of space occupied by the different parts (sand; sand-dune; sky) in my original. I don't think that balance is there to the same extent in your version.

But it is always good to read and see what others do think.
    Last edited by Donald; 27th November 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Real Name
    Robert S.

Very nice picture Donald. I like the division and the square format. The sand textures and clouds really make me feel strong winds and cold weather. Personally I would make it al little bit darker in the midtones. I would try something between gamma 0.80 and 0.90 in GIMP. But before doing it I recommend drinking a hot cup of tea.

Robert

Real Name
    Ramachandran

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Ramachandran - I always welcome others seeking to contribute to discussion on my work. And, very often, using a re-worked version of the image is a good way of illustrating the point that a person wishes to make. So, there is no need to apologise to me for what you've done.

That being said, it is not a format ratio with which I would feel comfortable. As you can see, I have chosen a 1:1 (square) format. I don't like such an elongated portrait format. I prefer the balance of space occupied by the different parts (sand; sand-dune; sky) in my original. I don't think that balance is there to the same extent in your version.

But it is always good to read and see what others do think.
    Thank you, Donald, you are very kind.
    Last edited by Donald; 27th November 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Own typo in quoted segment

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Personally I would make it al little bit darker in the midtones. I would try something between gamma 0.80 and 0.90 in GIMP.
    Robert - Thank you very much for your comment. I think you are right - there are many ways to interpret this. I may go back and do what you suggest, just to see how it comes out.

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice image donald. I like the crop and composition very much.

I think the image needs a little contrast boost though. I played around a little just to see what i could do.(hope you don't mind) I added a little sepia toning to the bottom half (just a little to get some more tonality) Added some contrast with the lightness channel in LAB mode and some dodging and burning to get some more contrast.

I did a curves adjustment layer and brushed in some more contrast to the sky. The sky was mostly dark, so i raised the highlites with the curves tool and then made a layer mask (hide all) Then i brushed at a low opacity just over the highlight areas of the sky to give more contrast.

A touch of sharpening to the center portiion to add more contrast and ..........................

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    I played around a little just to see what i could do.(hope you don't mind)
    I like it!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I like it!
    You are a very tallented landscaper donald. You should consider PS, i think sometimes the gimp is holding you back.