Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: View from a Balcony

Real Name
    Terry

View from a Balcony

Overlooking the Petit Jean River Valley as seen from Mt. Magazine, AR.

View from a Balcony

Real Name
    Mike

Re: View from a Balcony

Beautiful setting Terry, and nice capture on the sunset. My only gripe with it
    is your neighbor out on his balcony, as unfortunately his head becomes the focal
    point, and we miss a good part of the sunset as a result. A sharp "clearing of the
    throat" will usually get someone to wake up and move out of the way for a second
    or two while you get the shot. View from a Balcony

Real Name
    Reynold Mainse

Hi Terry
    I love the sunset your really captured a beautiful moment. I was feeling that the picture was a bit busy and perhaps to heavy with the dark building on the right. I hope you don't mind I decided to do two different crops and some photoshop to remove areas and add areas. Here ya go

View from a Balcony

View from a Balcony

Quote Originally Posted by Reynold Mainse View Post
    Hi Terry
    I love the sunset your really captured a beautiful moment. I was feeling that the picture was a bit busy and perhaps to heavy with the dark building on the right. I hope you don't mind I decided to do two different crops and some photoshop to remove areas and add areas. Here ya go

View from a Balcony

View from a Balcony
    Um, sorry, but you have just removed the subject matter/focal point to me.

Real Name
    Steve

I think it is a very good image, terry and i wouldn't change a thing.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Terry, great shot. I think the inclusion of the balcony and the person give this shot context and meaning and take it from being just another sunset shot and make it into something unique and thought provoking. Actually it makes me kind of sad seeing the man by himself and I wonder what he is thinking as he watches the beautiful sunset and the couples walking together.

No offense to any of the other opinions given, that's just my take on it. It's a beauty no matter how you crop it, but I love it as is

Wendy

My first thoughts were for a crop on the right, but not as much as Reynold's version.

There is a faint vertical line on the right edge. I would just remove that, and a similar amount from the top if you want to retain the same ratio.

I'm not a great fan of working strictly to thirds but I think this would still place his head roughly on a vertical third line and reducing the amount of black which would improve the balance.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 25th November 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Real Name
    Terry

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. Its great having more than one pair of eyes on your shots.

I see what you mean, Geoff, and I think I agree with you. In fact gave it a whirl and liked the results. I needed to keep it in the same aspect ratio and to get what I felt needed to be cut (at your suggestion) took a little more than I thought. But still works I think.

Thanks everyone!