Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Motion

Real Name
    Myra

Motion

I was at the rink during a team practice the other night and figured it was a good time for me to practice, too. Panning, that is. Can't say that I was entirely successful, but I liked the way this one came out. A quick desat and levels adjustment was done in ACR and PS.

Motion
    Motion 1 by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

This one really showcased the blue of the practice jersey. Wish I had been able to capture the player front on. It was rather fun to "play" with taking the photos instead of just the straight game shots.

Motion
    Motion 12 by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

C&C always welcome.

Myra

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Motion

These are good. Very good. It's that originality - moving away from the 'normal' game shot that moves this out of what I'd call a 'sports photograph' category and into a much more artistic genre. I really think these are super.

I've never seen anything like this before and, if I'm right, you've placed yourself into a niche not occupied by anyone else. And that is brilliant.

Negative comment? - My only point would be on a shot like the second one, you would still need to be able to distinguish the shape of the object the person has in his hands. I think an image such as this can't go completely to abstract. It still has to retain enough realism so that we can identify what it is, albeit from an artistic rather than a sporting perspective.

Now you know and I know and lots of other people on here know, what the 'thing' he has in his hands looks like. But the non-hockey, non-sporting person won't. So all they see is an indentifiable image of a human, and object on the ground/ice and very blurred arms and hands holding something. (Am I making sense here?). So they wouldn't know that he is about to strike the thing on the ground/ice with the thing being held in the hands. Compare that with #1 where we can clearly see what the 'thing' being held looks like.

But, that aside, I love these. I think they're brilliant.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Very nice. Reminds me of a poster image type style. Generic image evocative of the specific sport so anyone can hang it on the wall. Really nice shots. These would be great to see at poster size.
    I like the white vignette, suits the activity well. Very arty (meant as a compliment)
    Graham

Real Name
    Myra

Thank you for the kind comments and encouragement. Donald, I was torn between leaving the first in colour or converting it. I liked it both ways, but the black and white had a sketchlike quality to it.

Donald, I know exactly what you mean about not being able to see the object being held. I was so fascinated with the blue of the jersey I didn't even notice that!

Graham, you just gave me a great idea! Each February the team has a dance and silent auction to raise money. I think I will make these into posters and donate them to the auction. If nothing else, I'll get to see how they look at a larger size.

Myra

Real Name
    Toņo

Myra

Very nice images!

Donald and Graham have made a very good description of them, so I will only say Great job!!

Toņo

Real Name
    John

Myra,
    great shots, well done.