Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Antique Voigtlander Bessa folding camera

Real Name
    Paul

Antique Voigtlander Bessa folding camera

This doesn't quite qualify as digital but I think you'll appreciate how far cameras have advanced since this 70+ years old Voigtlander Bessa was introduced in 1937. This was my dad's first camera, purchased sometime in the late 1930s. Our family's album have many B&W images created with it. I used it a little when my photographic interest began. It is very good condition and has rested in its zippered leather case for perhaps the last 50 years. It is a family heirloom now and a personal connection to my dad.

- Paul -

Last edited by PRSearls; 14th November 2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: removed text

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Antique Voigtlander Bessa folding camera

Here is a closer view of the lens and shutter, Manual Mode only. There is a socket for a cable release and the body can be attached to a tripod. The small circle is part of the 1930's version of Live View, the viewfinder in portrait orientation. The landscape viewfinder is along the side (top) of the camera. I believe the glass elements in the lens are uncoated. The camera used 120 film in a 6 cm x 9 cm format. I think these were pretty popular cameras in their day.

- Paul -

Real Name
    Keith

The first camera I owned was a Voigtlander Bessa II with a coupled rangefinder. A lovely camera, I wish I still had it. However, as I found it a bit bulky (or at least the 120 rollfilm was) and I was do of tramping and climbing, I sold and bought a Voigtlander Vito IIa, a 35mm foer and then a Paxette with an extinction light meter then a series of cameras, all viewfinders until I moved over to SLR.

The first camera I ever used (I was about 4) was my dad's No.1 Autograph Kodak Junior, an old folder dating from around WW1 or shortly after! I understand it was a present from his parents some time in the late 1920s

Makes me sound old!

Real Name
    Wendy

That is very cool, wish I had one to play with. I only have my Dad's old pentax spotmatic which I haven't used for ages, and need to go dig out of the cupboard!