Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Is it bad for my DSLR if I keep it on Live view for +10 Minutes?

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

Is it bad for my DSLR if I keep it on Live view for +10 Minutes?

I recently found that I can turn my DSLR into a video recorder. I have the canon 1000D and downloaded a software onto my laptop. I can then plug my DSLR into the computer via USB and from the software record from the DSLR. When my DSLR is pluged in and recording, it is on live view to Record. I am wondering if that affects the Shutter count or will affect my DSLR later on.

Thanks
    Tyler

Real Name
    Jao

Re: Is it bad for my DSLR if I keep it on Live view for +10 Minutes?

There is a significant effect on the camera battery due to increased power drain. Also, the increase of internal camera temperature due to sensor and LCD monitor operation can increase the level of electronic noise.

Real Name
    Robin

A mate of mine shoots product photography as part of his portfolio and regularly runs his D3 all day on live view with the camera plugged into the mains - that and he batters the Hell out of it doing extreme sports photography and its still going strong.

I wondered this too. When I use my Canon 500D on live view the mirror closes after about 15 seconds. This is a nuisance while I am trying to set a shot up in my light box. Can this be overridden or set to a longer period or is this set to protect the camera?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by John B Walker View Post
    When I use my Canon 500D on live view the mirror closes after about 15 seconds.
    Hi John,

Not sure what you're meaning when you say "the mirror closes" - are you meaning the mirror comes back down and the shutter closes so that you can't stay in live view for more than about 15 seconds?

Real Name
    Jao

Quote Originally Posted by John B Walker View Post
    When I use my Canon 500D on live view the mirror closes after about 15 seconds. Can this be overridden or set to a longer period or is this set to protect the camera?
    I'm not sure about mirror but if you mean monitor, then the answer is yes. In Nikon, it can be found under custom setting menu. There you can adjust how long or short you want your screen to stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi John,

Not sure what you're meaning when you say "the mirror closes" - are you meaning the mirror comes back down and the shutter closes so that you can't stay in live view for more than about 15 seconds?
    Hi Colin

Yes, the mirror comes back down after about 15 secs in 'live view' and so ending my live view session. I then have to reset the 'live view' which is a nuisance. I'm guessing that it might be set in the menus but haven't found it yet. 30 secs would be more useful for me but not if it's going to cause camera probs etc.

Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Bill S

*tsk*tsk*

Folks didn't read Richard's post the other day which shared the Canon Quick Guides.

Particularly, check out the EOS Live View Features guide - and look in the bottom right corner of page 2 - under Conserving Battery Power and Auto Power Off. You'll find the menu settings to use to change the Live View Timeout.

Ok - enough reprimanding folks...

Tyler - I tend to be a little nervous with Live View. Once, on a dive, I was using Live View and I actually got a red flashing thermometer in my display! I assumed it meant that the camera was overheating, but I've never been able to find it anywhere in any of my manuals. However, I think in a decently ventilated space (my camera was in an underwater housing, running live view, with IS and a lot of AF seeking going on) it should be ok... you have to figure, if you're shooting video, they have the live view running full time, so Canon probably thought about that (just not about it running in a plastic box underwater!). Come to think of it, I've used Live View for extended periods of time many times without a problem - it was just that once that it scared me with that red flashing thermometer, so now I'm nervous.

- Bill

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I tend to be a little nervous with Live View. Once, on a dive, I was using Live View and I actually got a red flashing thermometer in my display!
    Off memory - going back to the first models that featured live view - I think the official response from Canon was (a) yes, using liveview will heat things up (b) yes, it'll suck the battery, (c) yes, it may increate thermal noise, and (d) no, it won't damage the camera as they've built protection in.

This seems to tie in with that.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Off memory - going back to the first models that featured live view - I think the official response from Canon was (a) yes, using liveview will heat things up (b) yes, it'll suck the battery, (c) yes, it may increate thermal noise, and (d) no, it won't damage the camera as they've built protection in.

This seems to tie in with that.
    I guess I should be a little less nervous about it then... but I still think I'll use it sparingly while in the dive housing.

- Bill