Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sony Zoom lense recommendations

Sony Zoom lense recommendations

I am looking to purchase a new zoom/telephoto lense for my Sony a65. I am new to the game and looking for any suggestions.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Sony Zoom lense recommendations

As always cost and use are the main variables.

I have their 18-250mm zoom (also known as a travel zoom), love it. Covers most of the range I want (and for wider panoramas I can always PP) and as it rarely comes off there is less likelihood of dust spots. Slight issue with vignetting at the 18mm end, but easily correctable PP.

I also have the 500mm mirror lens, great for birding (especially if you can up the ISO, which you can with the A65 compared to my A350). Main issue agasint it is that is f8 (fixed), but it is relatively cheap, autofocuses, and if superlight (I can hand hold all day long).

I also had the 70-300mm (budget model, pro may be different) for a short time (exchange lens while one was getting fixed), significant CA so it was not good (for egrets on a dark background)

I would love the 80? - 400mm, but cost is an issue.

Don't forget 3rd party manufacturers, Tamron and Sigma (although I have had issues with Sigma lenses over the last 2 years, 7 lens and they all broke the same way - build quality may be an issue).

I know there are many other lenses that are available, but I haven't tried them.

All the best in your forthcoming obsession.

Graham

Real Name
    Mike

try older minolta lenes on e-bay "sony bought minolta " hth mike

Real Name
    Paul

I agree with Graham on the CA on the 75-300. I will say it is better on my A77 than it was On the A100, but still an issue. Minolta glass does work well if you can find what you are looking for, sometimes quite difficult.

If price is not so much an issue...step up to the G series and then it will only be a focal length choice. I would someday like to have the 70-400G.

Really not a lot to add, the guys above pretty well covered things I think. What will you be looking to shoot with this lens. Might get a more solid answer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    As always cost and use are the main variables.

I have their 18-250mm zoom (also known as a travel zoom), love it. Covers most of the range I want (and for wider panoramas I can always PP) and as it rarely comes off there is less likelihood of dust spots. Slight issue with vignetting at the 18mm end, but easily correctable PP.

I also have the 500mm mirror lens, great for birding (especially if you can up the ISO, which you can with the A65 compared to my A350). Main issue agasint it is that is f8 (fixed), but it is relatively cheap, autofocuses, and if superlight (I can hand hold all day long).

I also had the 70-300mm (budget model, pro may be different) for a short time (exchange lens while one was getting fixed), significant CA so it was not good (for egrets on a dark background)

I would love the 80? - 400mm, but cost is an issue.

Don't forget 3rd party manufacturers, Tamron and Sigma (although I have had issues with Sigma lenses over the last 2 years, 7 lens and they all broke the same way - build quality may be an issue).

I know there are many other lenses that are available, but I haven't tried them.

All the best in your forthcoming obsession.

Graham

Thanks