Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Torre Espacio (Madrid)

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Torre Espacio (Madrid)

Another photo I took of one of the four towers clustered together on Paseo de la Castellana in Madrid.

Torre Espacio (Madrid)
    Details of the photo: 1/100s at f/11, focal length 24mm, ISO 200.

I like this photo because of the shape of the building: how the the lower part curves to the right as one looks up the building, and the curvature of the top part of the building. The reflection of the cloud on the right side merges nicely into the cloud behind it; it almost looks like the cloud is sitting outside the window. There's little input from me on the composition; the building speaks for itself. Comments are welcome.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Torre Espacio (Madrid)

Like this one! well done, definite candidate for B&W

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Nice pic. I would love to see this one PP'd to extend the building to impossible heights and out of frame.
    Graham
    (hhhmmm, those mushrooms were tasty)

Terrific capture, Tony. Have you considered a bit more tonal variation?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The sky seems to have been made just for the building. Super composition.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

I took Viana's suggestion and increased the tonal variation. Below is the result - it's certainly a more striking picture. I think that the actual scene didn't have such tonal variation; does that really matter? (Depends on what I'm trying to do, I suppose.)
    Torre Espacio (Madrid)

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

And taking Mark's suggestion to convert to B&W, here it is.
    Torre Espacio (Madrid)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    I took Viana's suggestion and increased the tonal variation. Below is the result - it's certainly a more striking picture. I think that the actual scene didn't have such tonal variation; does that really matter? (Depends on what I'm trying to do, I suppose.)

Right! It’s all about the artist’s vision. I like the change, Tony.

With respect to the B & W would you consider making that even more dramatic with tonal variations?

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Okay, here's some more tonal variation - as dramatic as I dared. Thanks for the advice.

Torre Espacio (Madrid)

Very nice! Works better, IMHO, except possibly that dark triangle up in the left-hand corner.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

I don't know how to selectively alter the tonal variation. I'm using Lightroom 3.5 (on trial). Any suggestions on how I might achieve the tone adjustment without darkening too much the sky at the top left?

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Different eyes, different impressions, I guess. For me the increase in tonal variations in both the color and B&W versions have simply darkened the image, and in the case of the B&W, over-darkened it as the detail in the very top of the building is more or less gone, which chokes off the top of the image.

I wonder if there is a trend toward using more tonal variation for it's own sake, in order to create that instant impact that judges look for?

I don't know how to selectively alter the tonal variation. I'm using Lightroom 3.5 (on trial). Any suggestions on how I might achieve the tone adjustment without darkening too much the sky at the top left?

Go into the “Develop” module and scroll down to “Tone Curve” Click on the icon and pull it up to lighten or down to darken. You can also adjust the individual curves for Highlights, Lights, Darks and Shadows by moving the sliders.

You may want to start with the exposure adjustment and go down the module. When you adjust the blues play with the luminance and see if that does not bring out the clouds more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post

I wonder if there is a trend toward using more tonal variation for it's own sake, in order to create that instant impact that judges look for?

I always think of Ansel Adams and his wonderus tonal variations.

Real Name
    Mark

Tony love what youve done, well, done

Real Name
    Lon Howard

And I should have added that I like the image too; but prefer the original versions in both color and B&W because of the greater amount of light. Very nice work!

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Thanks to you all - all very useful feedback. Good to see that my wife and I are not the only ones who don't agree on which photos are the "best"; beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder...

Thanks to you all - all very useful feedback. Good to see that my wife and I are not the only ones who don't agree on which photos are the "best"; beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder...

In English there is a saying, Tony: ”If two people agree on everything, one of them is unecessary.”

Vive la différence!

Real Name
    Bobo

This is a nice looking building but I think it is the photographer's vision that makes a building look better then it might be in reality. This is one of those imho.