Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Early Evening Walk

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Early Evening Walk

When we were up visiting my dad last week, we took his little collie dog out for a walk. So this is Garry and, er um, 'whatshername' on the left!

Interested in what you think of the composition - Woman and dog low in the frame and one on the left and one on the right with quite a gap in between. Do you think it all works?

Also interested in any other thoughts you have.

Early Evening Walk
    40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS @ 200mm. ISO100. 1/90@f11.
    Last edited by Donald; 12th November 2011 at 05:22 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Early Evening Walk

Donald, people AND dogs in one of your photos?
    As far as the composition goes, it almost strikes me that they are trying to stay away from each
    other. I think this is because 'whatshername' is so close to the edge of the frame.
    I could be wrong though, I have been wrong before!

Normally, I find this sort of shot doesn't work well, but in this particular case the tree line tends to act as a barrier to stop my eyes wandering too far upwards. So that connects the person and dog together.

I think the composition works. While there is a tug of war between the women and the dog, I also see them as taking a stroll each with their own view of the world, while enjoying each others company. As I look at the picture my eyes follows the dogs view up the road then back to the women. I think Geoff is right, the tree line works as a barrier to keep your eyes from leaving the picture by forming the top of a triangle (tree line, women to dog, road). I would call it a success.

Real Name
    Mark

This one doesnt work for me Donald, my eyes keep wondering around the image without settling