Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Assateague Island pre-sunrise

Real Name
    Mike

Assateague Island pre-sunrise

Actually took this picture to figure the settings and have it ready to go when the sun finally rose… after looking at it afterwards and posting it on one of my albums for friends to see, it didn't look too bad and I have been receiving comments that its a great image and should be framed. I wasn't too sure about that as I thought maybe there was not enough of the sky in the picture… Any thoughts?

f/11, 1/6 sec, 400 iso, 42mm

Assateague Island pre-sunrise
    Sunrise off the dunes by Michael VerVelde Photography, on Flickr

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Assateague Island pre-sunrise

Looks good to me, Mike. You might actually get away with darkening it ever so slightly. I think I would clone out the wires as they take attention away from the sky. You can sometimes get the best shots up to a half hour before sunrise or up to a half hour after sunset. It all depends on the position of the clouds.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Actually took this picture to figure the settings and have it ready to go when the sun finally rose… after looking at it afterwards and posting it on one of my albums for friends to see, it didn't look too bad and I have been receiving comments that its a great image and should be framed. I wasn't too sure about that as I thought maybe there was not enough of the sky in the picture… Any thoughts?
    I love sunrises, and this is a nice one.
    Remove the cables to the left, leave the fences.
    I like the balance of the ground versus sky and the triple layers (beach, water, sky)
    BTW, not knowing the location, is that snow or white/pale sand?

Graham

Real Name
    Darlene

I like it too!

The transition of colors from sky to ocean to sand are just enough to define each. The fence adds depth. And I love the clouds.

I didn't even see the wires until Frank pointed them out and it probably would be better without them, but OK in my book if you left them in.

Very peaceful! Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks for your comments. This was taken on the dunes of Assateague Island National Seashore in Maryland last week. The MD State Park side. Famous for the "Assateague Ponies" that roam there. It is fine sand down there not snow (yet). I agree, the cloud colors are amazing- Im going to post more golden hour pics soon of the same area with those colors.

Believe it or not, the wire on the fence is an electric fence. Apparently people are stupid enough to continue walking into the sensitive dune areas they are trying to protect even though they put up signs indicating such and adding a fence around it to discourage people from going in there. Whats next? armed guards?

When I get back into learning the PP I have in my computer, Ill give it a shot to clone out the wires. I was thinking as I took the shot that I wished the wires weren't there.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    You can sometimes get the best shots up to a half hour before sunrise or up to a half hour after sunset. It all depends on the position of the clouds.
    Mike

I endorse totally what Frank says, except I would say almost 100% of the time, with very few exceptions. And I'd stretch the time from 30 to up to 60 minutes.

The same applies at the other end of the day. A sunset needs to be shot after the sun has gone down.
    Last edited by Donald; 1st November 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Mike

I endorse totally what Frank says, except I would say almost 100% of the time, with very few exceptions. And I'd stretch the time from 30 to up to 60 minutes.

The same applies at the other end of the day. A sunset needs to be shot after the sun has gone down.
    You guys are onto something… I get the best responses to those sunrise/sunset pics when the sun is not there! Something to learn from… Thanks guys.