Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Bear

Real Name
    Steaphany

The Bear

This is finally achieving success with a low light/night image with my SD14. For anyone who has or used a Foveon imager based camera, these can be particularly challenging to get the noise under control when shooting in low light and night conditions. This image is the culmination of numerous tests conducted over four days of shooting, being the buffet for the evening mosquitoes, and working through Foveon issues to finally figure out the process. Don't be fooled by the exposure settings, there is a bit more needed in post processing to achieve the magic. This image was shot 45 minutes and 14 seconds after Sunset when it was so dark that I had to use a light just to see the controls of my camera.

The title, The Bear, conveys a double meaning. First, the amount of work to achieve the result that I was aiming for and Second, because Ursa Major is visible in the sky, an unplanned bonus.

The Bear
    The Bear
    Sigma SD14 18-50mm @ 18mm, f/2.8, 10s, ISO 800

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Bear

Steaphany

I have enormous admiration for your verve in applying your technical and scientific knowledge in pursuit of exploration and learning. There's an amazing richness in the tone.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Re: The Bear

At Donald's suggestion, please read explaining what a Foveon Imager is and why this image was a challenge

and for those who don't know where to look to see the Bear:

The Bear
    Pixel Peeper's Special - The Bear ( 50% )

Yes, you can distinguish Alcor, ( 80 Ursae Majoris ), visual magnitude 4.00, from Mizar ( 79 Ursae Majoris ), visual magnitude 2.22 !
    Last edited by Steaphany; 27th October 2011 at 10:18 PM.