Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Noise Reduction Preview in LR 3.5

Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

Noise Reduction Preview in LR 3.5

Hi,

Second post on CiC. Mostly an outdoor/nature photog with 60D and 100-400L and 24-105L (plus 50 1.4).

Question--I have noticed that when I apply noise reduction in LR in Develop it does not render in the preview. I see the effects in the small NR preview in the sidebar, but never the main image preview area. I hop over to Library and choose another image, come back to the image I am working on, then it shows up (still in Library.)

Is this a known bug? Highly annoying. FYI, not switching from LR and would prefer to not add a plug-in as the NR in LR works well, but preview is killing me.

Thanks!

Sean

Real Name
    Alex

Re: Noise Reduction Preview in LR 3.5

Hi Sean,

I have just had a go at this using LR 3.5. In summary I think NR is always working but it is hard to see.

When using the 'fit to window' view on my first randomly selected image I cannot see the effect of noise reduction. However when I zoom the image to 1:1 or higher I can see the NR working on the image.

I tried with a different image with a severe crop where the 'fit to window' is already quite large. When I use NR on this image I can see the effect.

I also tried on another image with large areas of monotone colour and high ISO. On this image I can see the NR working of a full size image in 'fit to window' view.

So in my case the NR is working on the image but it may not be possible to see it. That is why there is the 1:1 preview window in the develop panel.

Have a try with some very noisy and flat images (take a picture of a plain wall indoors at ISO 3200) and see if you still have issues seeing the NR working.

Regards,

Alex

Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. Kind if annoying that you have to do that, as it certainly can slow down your workflow. Maybe they'll fix that in another version...

Anyone else find an alternative workaround?

Sean

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Sean,

I just started using LR3 and I did notice this problem too. I have read few forums about it and it sounds like an LR3 bug. Something to do with the image cache. Also, I didn't notice this last night but I have been importing my photos to LR3 as DNG. Maybe this problem only occurs when you're developing RAW files. I'll update on this tonight when I get home and test it out.

Real Name
    Sean Fitzpatrick

Hi Chriss,

FYI, I used DNG as well, per Scott Kelby's book stating they are 20% smaller yet function as RAW. Let me know how this work out for you!

Thanks,

Sean

Real Name
    Mark

Here is what I have found.
    If you zoom in to say 3:1 and then move your luminance slider you will see that it is working it is hard to see it in even 1:1 zoom
    and almost impossible to see it in fit mode.
    Mark.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Sean,

Ok, the image I was playing last night was actually a RAW file and I looked at another image tonight and it's also a RAW file. Image last night on fit size show's the NR and the Image I looked at tonight show's the NR only on 1:1 weird! Ok while typing on this post I went ahead restarted my LR3 and see if it makes a difference.... ok it's up and no difference at all. I might need to play around and see what cause this and I'll keep tabs on what will make a difference on this NR bug.