Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Contemplation

Real Name
    Fernando Cascais

Re: Contemplation

I'm not quite sure what it is about the style of your work that I like, but it sure gets to me.

I like the composure of the bottom third, or so. But theres way too much orange and it overpowers the rest of the image.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhillip View Post
    I like the composure of the bottom third, or so. But theres way too much orange and it overpowers the rest of the image.
    Strange as it may seem to you I find that part of the attraction. If you put a card over a large part of the top Orange the whole thing becomes "Just another shot".

I just feel the orange doesn't suit the mood of the photo, and kind of unbalances it.

Try to imagine this image hanging on a gallery wall and transferred to linen and poster size.....wow? Kaskais, you have a very distinctive style and many of us will strive for years and never get that kind of personality into our work...you have certainly crossed the state border between image capture county and artsville.

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

The orange is what MAKES this image.
    The huge orange space IS overpowering, but that is the intent - and it does not draw the eye away from focal ( the man in silhouette ).
    I believe it has also been used to show just how small the person is ( gives us a large scale ).
    This image is wonderful to look at.
    It is ART.

Shame [COLOR=White]kaskias doesn't check back to see his feedback, but I REALLY love his images.
    Very distinctive and original.

( There you go Collin, a post =) , by the way, what do you think of this )

You don't get it.

I'm talking about the colour "Orange", and how this puts me off. I'm not disputing the fact that it draws your eye or whatever, just the colour orange.

And had a look at his website. Good way to put it I think, for most of his images, is wow.

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Quote Originally Posted by iPhillip View Post
    I just feel the orange doesn't suit the mood of the photo, and kind of unbalances it.
    what IS the mood ?
    Yea, i dunno, I like the orange.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Matt, good to see you back again.

Quote Originally Posted by milleniummuppet View Post
    Shame kaskias doesn't check back to see his feedback, but I REALLY love his images.
    Very distinctive and original.
    Ah, but he does.

I have to agree Kaskais is definitely what I'd call an "art photographer" and at a higher level than most photographers, myself well and truly included in that group.

For me this particular image mostly works, the only thing I'm not too sure about is the orange blob (sun?). I keep looking at this shot (reduced size to fit full height) and placing and removing my thumb over it. Just can't make my mind up

If anyone hasn't seen the Kaskais site, I'd recommend a viewing, not only will you see a lot of darn good images, you may learn a little more about his enigmatic ways.

I find his shots an inspiration, but I have always stopped short of posting the odd experiment here as mine never look a patch compared to the Kaskais style. Perhaps we should have a "Kaskais homage" challenge to get the artist in every photographer to exercise and display their take on a scene rendered in his style. And isn't imitation said to be the sincerist form of flattery? Just a thought.

Regards to all,

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

hmmm, now that you mention it that sun thing is a little distracting, it almost looks as though it has been added in post processing?
    If it were me anyway, I would probably remove it.

By the way, that challenge is probably a good idea.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by milleniummuppet View Post
    hmmm, now that you mention it that sun thing is a little distracting, it almost looks as though it has been added in post processing?
    I'm sure it has been added PP, but I think it balances tha man and gives him something to look at that isn't too near the edge of frame (as the lighthouse/beacon thing is).

Like I say, can't make up my mind about it.

The sun is really the only part of that image I'd change, and even then I'm not sure how I'd change it... perhaps a bit more graduated? I do love the orange though... Fantastic image!

Real Name
    Jeroen

Just jumping into the discussion of this very nice photo.
    I have to say I really like the style of the photo. To me it's a great combination of a beautiful composition with supporting black-white and gray colours and a little bit of surrealism elements. I like the combination of wat the human eye would see and what the human imagination could add to the image all combined in a photo. The orange breaks the potentially boring black and wite image and makes the silhouette pop out of the land he is standing on a bit. As said, it would be good to be able to see this photo in his full size at once, instead of scrolling up and down until your finger hurts.

About the orange sun, it adds something to the composition wich finishes it and make it even more interesting but I don't completely like the execution of it. It doesn't seem to fit in the image nicely because of the colourdifference with the background. I think it would look nicer if the edge of the sun matches the colour of the background better and than slowly changes into the bright yellow of the middle of it.

But I have to say I really love this fantastic photo and I hope to see lots more of you on this forum.

(I hope my post makes sense because for me it is already difficult to figure out what I want to say about the photo in dutch. Not even mentioning the trouble I had to translate it into English)

Real Name

Hi Jeroen,

On the last point you have no need to worry; by the time I'd got to the end of the first paragraph, appreciating English is a second language for you, I was thinking to myself how well you were doing expressing yourself and with few more spelling errors than I make!

One tip I can pass on regarding vertical orientation pictures is this;
    in both Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox, if you hit Ctrl and Minus key a few times you can shrink the page view until the full picture height fits the window. Ctrl and scrollwheel on mouse does same thing (one way zooms smaller, the other way bigger).
    To get back to default, or normal, size, just hit Ctrl+0 (zero).

Another tip that can be used in combination with the above, in order not to have to shrink so much, is that the F11 key toggles the browsers (both IE7 and FF) to 'full screen' mode (and again to go back).

Cheers,