Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bärengraben, Bern Switzerland 2011

Real Name
    Rob

Bärengraben, Bern Switzerland 2011

Hi all,

I've just recently discovered Cambridgeincolor, and in my opinion it's a significant cut above the rest. Anyway, I wanted to share a photo to see how things roll here. Comments are most welcome (but go easy on me).

As suggested by Frank Miller below, I'll give a quick description about this picture:

First of all I wanted to achieve an extreme, comic book like effect, with this picture. I basically started playing around with the HDR settings in Photoshop until I got something I liked.

The thing i like most about this picture, is the fact that it lies right on the edge of the processing scale. A little bit more and it's too much, a little less and I lose this extreme effect I was looking for.

Niggles:
    The white band in the sky had been considered at length. I ultimately decided that I liked it. Just maybe I went to far. But, if I like it then others must too......?

Rob..

Canon EOS7D - ISO400 - F/3.5 - 1/2000sec - EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM @ 15mm - HDR -1 0 1
    Last edited by EDGE1; 19th October 2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: What I wanted to achieve from this shot.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Bärengraben, Bern Switzerland 2011

Too many pixels burned out, yet it remains idyllic in a strange way.

rob marshall

Rob

It looks a little over-processed to me, which is a pity as it's a very attractive scene. How did you process it? Was it shot in RAW?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Rob, that is a beautiful composition and a very different treatment than what one would normally expect. Sometimes feedback can be off the mark unless we know what your goals are for this image. What do you like about it? What don't you like? Because there are many options, how would you like the image to look different than it does?

Hi,
    For me it looks over-processed but that is good for the low part of the picture.Only the white"ribbon"does not look too well.
    Don't be too upset!

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Rob

It looks a little over-processed to me, which is a pity as it's a very attractive scene. How did you process it? Was it shot in RAW?
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for the comment. Yes, the original image is shot in RAW. It's 3 images stacked together using HDR post-processing tools in Photoshop CS5.

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Rob, that is a beautiful composition and a very different treatment than what one would normally expect. Sometimes feedback can be off the mark unless we know what your goals are for this image. What do you like about it? What don't you like? Because there are many options, how would you like the image to look different than it does?
    Hi Frank,

Thanks of the advice. See my edited launch post.

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    Hi,
    For me it looks over-processed but that is good for the low part of the picture.Only the white"ribbon"does not look too well.
    Don't be too upset!
    Hi Radu Dinu Cordeanu,

Thanks for the comment. You may be right, it could be over processed. It was my intention to put this picture right on the limit of post-processing. The ribbon does look quite extreme but for some reason I like it.

Rob

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE1 View Post
    Hi Frank,

Thanks of the advice. See my edited launch post.
    OK Rob, Now that we know what you are trying to achieve, I would suggest that the tree line at the sky could be improved by blending back in ‘some’ of the original green trees. How much? That's really up to how you like it to look, but I think that you will find that the solid black tree tops takes away from the 'comic book' look you are going for.

I would also try the same thing with the white band. Take a look at it with the height of the band reduced as well as with the white toned down a bit. See what combination looks best to you but if you are looking for broader appeal, it is more prominent than most folks would accept, even for the comic book look. Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Bobo

Actually the larger image looks much better.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Actually the larger image looks much better.
    Yep, sure does - and I quite lie the effect. Skating close to the edge - without falling off.
    Never did (or plan to do) any HDR, but I can appreciate someone else's effort.

Wonder what it would look like in B/W?

Real Name
    Rhonda

I like this picture, but like a comment earlier my eyes are drawn to the bright white area between the sky and the top of the trees, I love the bottom layer of the picture.

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    OK Rob, Now that we know what you are trying to achieve, I would suggest that the tree line at the sky could be improved by blending back in ‘some’ of the original green trees. How much? That's really up to how you like it to look, but I think that you will find that the solid black tree tops takes away from the 'comic book' look you are going for.

I would also try the same thing with the white band. Take a look at it with the height of the band reduced as well as with the white toned down a bit. See what combination looks best to you but if you are looking for broader appeal, it is more prominent than most folks would accept, even for the comic book look. Hope this helps!

Frank, thanks for the constructive advice. Especially the point you make about broader appeal. I'm in the process of updating the picture as a direct result of the feedback recieved. Thanks to all that have commented, much appreciate!

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by kayeseyes View Post
    I like this picture, but like a comment earlier my eyes are drawn to the bright white area between the sky and the top of the trees, I love the bottom layer of the picture.
    Hey Rhonda,

Thanks for your comment. I'm going to reduce this ribbbon of white and repost.

Rob

Real Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Kris V View Post
    Yep, sure does - and I quite lie the effect. Skating close to the edge - without falling off.
    Never did (or plan to do) any HDR, but I can appreciate someone else's effort.

Wonder what it would look like in B/W?
    Hey Kristianna-Marie,

Thanks for the feedback. I tried B&W; looks good but not great. I've seen some breathtaking B&W HDR photography though, so I can maybe see the reason you ask.

Rob

Real Name
    Rob

Here we go guys. No more crazy ribbons of white. I must admit, it looks a lot better. Thanks for the constructive criticism! Exactly why this site is so great. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about my other photos......or can I

Rob..
    Last edited by EDGE1; 20th October 2011 at 02:50 PM.

Real Name
    Rhonda

Love it! Nice job!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

It looks like you've achieved your goal, Rob! Nice result!