Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: D7000 manual focusing

Real Name
    Peter

D7000 manual focusing

Hi, just starting out with my D7000, noticed when I put it in manual and change the settings they don't stay changed,
    EG: I change the shutter speed to 3 seconds and take a picture then when I go to take another picture the shutter speed changes is this normal?
    Peter

Real Name
    Robin

Re: D7000 manual focusing

Have you put the camera into manual focus or manual exposure, they're very different.

I'm guess you've done the first and you're leaving the camera in auto and simply shifting the exposure.

Real Name
    Richard

Does Nikon have something to hide

I tried to access the Nikon Manual for the D7000 online to see if I could figure out your problem. However, Nikon states that I have to be an owner of a Nikon camera with a valid Nikon serial number to access the PDF manual from their site. Since I am a Canon owner, I cannot access the manual through their web site.

That seems counterproductive for marketing. Before I purchased my Canon 7D, I downloaded the manual for that camera from the Canon site and read it cover to cover. I wanted to decide if I wanted to purchase the 7D and decided that I did.

Of course, I could probably find a pirated copy of the D7000 manual online somewhere. However, I hope that a Nikon owner can assist you. It does appear that (according to the title of your post) that you had selected manual focus rather than manual exposure in making your shots.

Real Name
    John

Peter - your post is a little confusing because the title deals with focusing and the text talks about exposure. A quick read of the first part of your manual should solve your problem. The exposure modes are set by the dial on the top left. Manual exposure is achieved by setting it to "M" and using the rear setting wheel to adjust the shutter speed and the front wheel sets the aperture. Manual focus is achieved by the switch on the lens or the switch on the lower left next to the lens. Manual focus and manual exposure are controlled totally separately. If you are still having problems, give us the exact settings you are using and exactly what you think the camera is doing wrong. Good Luck.

Real Name
    Tom

Hi, Richard. The Nikon site is kind of confusing, but you can download the D7000 manual from it if you desire: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17008/~/user's-manual---d7000---guide-to-digital-photography What you can't do unless you are a D7000 owner is download a version of the manual that can be printed out. FWIW

Real Name
    Peter

I was referring to manual exposure the shutter speed was changing, the problem was solved though as I had the bracketing enabled, as for the manual I downloaded it before I bought the camera too
    Peter

Real Name
    Peter

Bracketing, that is something that I didn't think of at first, but it makes sense. I couldn't imagine you confusing manual focus with exposure, so it was puzzling.
    Hope you like the camera, I enjoy it a lot. Have a look at Ken Rockwell's site and his user manual for the D7000 here. There are some good tips in there.