Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: FZ 100 bridge camera for wildlife photos

FZ 100 bridge camera for wildlife photos

Hi, I have started to use a Panasonic FZ 100 and so for am very pleased with what it does. If anyone who has been using this model for some time could give any tips and advice they have on any shortcomings with this camera I would appreciate it.
    Many thanks. Rod.

Real Name
    John

Re: FZ 100 bridge camera for wildlife photos

Quote Originally Posted by roderick View Post
    Hi, I have started to use a Panasonic FZ 100 and so for am very pleased with what it does. If anyone who has been using this model for some time could give any tips and advice they have on any shortcomings with this camera I would appreciate it.
    Many thanks. Rod.
    Check the Panasonic website and Flickr for photo examples taken with your camera model. Also, there should be some reviews and possibly a forum for your model also.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
    As far as manufacturers are concerned they will naturally tell you all the good points regarding their product, avoiding the shortcomings. Reviews have many conflicting reports about the same camera, so I suppose the best method is to carry on testing it oneself, and if it does the job that is all one needs.
    The FLICKr pics do show some very good results.
    Many thanks again.

Real Name
    John

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
    As far as manufacturers are concerned they will naturally tell you all the good points regarding their product, avoiding the shortcomings. Reviews have many conflicting reports about the same camera, so I suppose the best method is to carry on testing it oneself, and if it does the job that is all one needs.
    The FLICKr pics do show some very good results.
    Many thanks again.
    http://kenrockwell.com/

Kern Rockwell gives extensive reviews of particular camera models. I don't always agree with his assessments but there are additional links that might be valuable to you.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Many thanks. Rod.
    As you have since said, probably best to discover for yourself rather than worry about a load of things you'd never have noticed

I shot with a camera similar to this for a couple of years before moving to a DSLR. Just keep using it until you know why you want to move up.

I could list some generic shortcomings, but all that's going to do is make you want to spend money

Real Name
    Peter

There's quite a lot on dpreview - http://search.dpreview.com/?q=FZ+100

Hi, Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.
    I feel it all comes down to compromise. The reason I use a bridge camera is that there is less gear to haul around. With nature photography a good shot could be missed if was I changing the lens with a dSLR. I know I the photo quality will not be quite so good, but at least I will have got the shot. Wildlife doesn't hang around.
    Perhaps it is best to think of the camera as your slave and not your master.
    Thanks for the links, they were very interesting. Cheers for now.

Real Name
    Aydogan Akyuz

I've got an FZ 100 too. Months ago, I posted my complaints for the images taken at higher ISO values. I had disappointing IQ's due to heavy noise problems. I would recommend to set manualy ISO values below ISO 200 for most of the cases in order not to get frustrated .. However, close range photographing with enough light is not so bad. In poor lighting conditions, portrait works with flash is better than I expected. No experience so far with the movie features, I think it is worth to try.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aydo View Post
    I've got an FZ 100 too. Months ago, I posted my complaints for the images taken at higher ISO values. I had disappointing IQ's due to heavy noise problems. I would recommend to set manualy ISO values below ISO 200 for most of the cases in order not to get frustrated .. However, close range photographing with enough light is not so bad. In poor lighting conditions, portrait works with flash is better than I expected. No experience so far with the movie features, I think it is worth to try.
    Good luck!
    Hi, We hear much about firmware updates for the FZ100. I have a version 1.0 which has not had the update and I find that low light photos are quite acceptable with hardly any noise. I do use a low shutter speed for these which means a tripod or a steady hand!
    The highest ISO I use is usually 400.
    Do you have any info on the updates?

Real Name
    Aydogan Akyuz

Hi again,

Panasonic has announced two seperate firmware updates in different dates. You can find information for these firmwares at:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...100/index.html

I have not tried to upload yet, if you do, please infom me for the results..

Good luck!

Hi again,

Panasonic has announced two seperate firmware updates in different dates. You can find information for these firmwares at:

Good luck!
    Hi, I have spoken to a Panasonic technican and he said that as I was not experiencing any problems with my FZ100 I should not update the camera. He said leave well alone. Apparently, only some version 1.0 cameras have problems, depending on the batch they came from.
    Have you established which version your camera is? It's to be found in the set-up menu. If your camera is version 1.0 and you are having the probs Panasonic describe, I would certainly update the camera.
    I hope this info is of help to you.

Hi again,

Good luck!
    Hi Aydo, Have you had any luck with your FZ100? I would be interested to know if you decided to update your camera. Roderick.

Real Name
    Aydogan Akyuz

Hi Roderick!

Really I am not so curious and valiant to try it up to now, at least without hearing someone's encouraging succes..
    Mine is with firmware version 1.0 (the first and original one), but as long as the physical sensor size remains unchanged, my main specific expectations will not be physically possible... This is what my opinion is.

On the other hand, as I try some of the features efficiently, it seems better results can be obtained in quite number of modes.

All the best.
    Last edited by aydo; 19th October 2011 at 08:11 PM.