Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Where old boats go to die

Where old boats go to die

Walking around a small muddy estuary inlet I discovered these abandoned boats. Near Plymouth, UK.

This scene is probably too 'busy' and distracting but the jumble of old craft rather appealed to me.

The bigger boat is an ex fishing boat named JSN

It was originally built, to a French design, for a Mr. Nantes around the late 1970s and fished for shellfish from Weymouth. Eventually, he sold it to someone in Salcombe who worked it for a couple of years before passing it on to a group of divers.

After a few years, the boat developed problems with gribble worm in the keel. It then left this area; but returned a couple of years ago, although I don't think it was ever used seriously since then.

And by the look of it now this will become it's last resting place, although you never with boats.

The basic design was a little unusual with high freeboard, slightly narrow beam and an overall shape that had little to commend it visually. Basically little more than a rectangular box with a point on one end. However, it proved to be surprisingly good in rough seas and regularly fished the grounds near Alderney alongside larger craft.

Re: Where old boats go to die

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Walking around a small muddy estuary inlet I discovered these abandoned boats. Near Plymouth, UK.

This scene is probably too 'busy' and distracting but the jumble of old craft rather appealed to me.

The bigger boat is an ex fishing boat named JSN

It was originally built, to a French design, for a Mr. Nantes around the late 1970s and fished for shellfish from Weymouth. Eventually, he sold it to someone in Salcombe who worked it for a couple of years before passing it on to a group of divers.

After a few years, the boat developed problems with gribble worm in the keel. It then left this area; but returned a couple of years ago, although I don't think it was ever used seriously since then.

And by the look of it now this will become it's last resting place, although you never with boats.

The basic design was a little unusual with high freeboard, slightly narrow beam and an overall shape that had little to commend it visually. Basically little more than a rectangular box with a point on one end. However, it proved to be surprisingly good in rough seas and regularly fished the grounds near Alderney alongside larger craft.
    Nice set of pics, Geoff, I like it
    despite the unhappy atmosphere...
    did you try a B&W conversion?
    cheers
    Nicola

Thanks, Nicola. I do have quite a lot of images put to one side for B&W work sometime during the dark depths of winter. But at the moment, I just don't get sufficient time to play around with them.

Lack of time is one of the problems with retirement.

I now see that the third image has turned a bit on the bright side during conversion to internet settings. I think I will have to slightly darken the grass and reflection.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Great shots which tell a great story with quite sad overtones to us old boaties. And number 3 looked fine to me and not in need of any further fiddling IMO. Good subjects, nicely caught.
    old ucci

rob marshall

Good shots, Geoff. I think BW would suit them better - the colour makes them look too picturesque. Old boats make a good subject.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Geoff, I really like #3 with the reflections and the story that goes with it. Sometimes the accompanying text can really make an image far more interesting as we can relate to, and visualize what it might have looked like in it's earlier years. Nice series.

Real Name
    Keith

A nice series of shots Geoff and interesting notes to add to the enjoyment. It looks like a place full of photo opportunities.

Real Name
    Richard

Nice coverage. I am just wondering why the authorities allow people to just dump boats like they have here. You would think that it would be the responsibility of the owners to dispose of their craft in an environmentally correct manner!

Thanks for the comments.

This particular estuary, Richard, is privately owned along with the adjoining farmland so is not a fully public harbour; although there are some public rights including rights of way, etc.

The local Parish Council try to keep the place tidy and get these hulks into the small creeks where they have less overall visual impact. But their authority is limited, particularly if the owner says that the boat is awaiting repair.

Just along the coast, where I live, the scene is somewhat different and vessels like this would soon be removed by the Harbour Authority.