Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cottage

Real Name
    James

Cottage

Hi Everyone.
    Was out walking with the dog at the weekend and came across this, The weather was not that pleasant and the mist started to come down from the hills which kind of spoiled it, will return at a later date,
    C+C welcome
    Cottage

Real Name
    Philip

Re: Cottage

As I have hinted on other threads, I am disappointed when the colours of the natural world appear dull and lifeless in photos taken on obviously sunny days. Nature produces vivid colours and, when we use our powers of observation, we can see that those colours often still retain a richness even when the weather is not so good, just as they do in this image.

I realise that all this could be a matter of personal taste, and that sometimes photographers alter nature to convey a mood or emotion. However, I think that you have captured the colours very well here James. Just one other point - if you get the opportunity to shoot it again, you might try to include the whole of the cottage's reflection, if it is possible next time.

Just my opinion, of course.

Philip

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by JemC View Post
    C+C welcome
    Cottage
    Hi James,

It really isn't that sharp, possibly a combination of camera shake - I doubt if the dog carried the tripod and lack of downsizing and sharpening before posting to TinyPic.

EXIF = 1/25s at f/7.1 unknown iso and 50mm lens on Nikon D50.

Also, for me, the cottage is too central in the composition, it needed a crop in PP.

I do see this mist a murk descending though, so you have conveyed that feeling.

rob marshall

James

According to the EXIF the original image is 2463 px on the long side and has an image size of 3MP. That isn't much for a D50 which has 12MP - is that right? Was this a heavy crop? I also see that the sharpness is set to 'hard(2)'. Do you have that set for all shots? I'm not familiar with Nikons.

Real Name
    Mark

IMo the cottage should be further to the left in the composition. More of the mist (sky) would also be good.

Real Name
    James

Hi
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom, hopefully on my return visit i will be able to get a sharper image and this time will look at where the cottage is in the frame before pressing the shutter,
    Rob...your point about the sharpness set to hard(2), i have no idea what you are talking about? i assume this is some setting that can be adjusted in camera? i will look through the manual though, what setting would you suggest.
    Dave, you mention downsizing and sharpening, any chance you could point me in the right direction to be able to do that please
    ISO was 200
    This was the original

Cottage

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi James, this image reminds me of a Thomas Kinkade painting. All that is missing is the path, fence, and the little points of light. I would definately go back and reshoot utilizing the pointers provided above.

Real Name
    James

Hi Frank
    Thanks,
    i am certainly going to go back, i have heard people saying shoot in RAW as it's better,
    so i might give that a go and see what happens

Real Name
    Bob R

Hi James, hope you don't mind me playing with your photo a bit. I agree with the reflection, but if you don't have all of it then remove it might help as well. I really like your photo. I too agree about the Kinkade look. I'm a collector of Kinkade's.

Cottage

Real Name
    James

Hi Bob
    I don't mind at all, in fact that is one of the things i love about CiC, how other members will play about with your picturres and show you what can be acheived with a little alteration,
    I like what you have done with it thanks,
    i am planning on returning to this location to try again, however i doubt it will be under the same conditions, might even wait until the leaves turn to that autumn gold....

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

... the mist started to come down from the hills which kind of spoiled it,
    No, no, no, no, no!

The lighting in that is wonderful. Who wants nice sunny days when you can get conditions like this that lend so much mood and atmosphere?

I note all the comments above and wouldn't contradict those. But the one thing I'd really urge, James, is, as you note yourself, start shooting RAW.

Don't even worry about finding out what Rob meant with his comment about sharpening, because once you start shooting RAW then you will take control of all the post-processing and not be leaving it up to the camera which doesn't have a clue what your intentions are for the final image. At the moment, you're allowing the camera to make post processing decisions. It's just an unthinking box. You're the artist.
    Last edited by Donald; 11th October 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Real Name
    James

Hi Donald

I take it thats a no then
    Point taken about bright sunny days, would never have thought wet drizzly overcast days would produce nice colours, as the saying goes: your never to old to learn,
    still learning with the camera so anything could happen when i use RAW and try my hand at the PP,
    Regards
    James

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Dave, you mention downsizing and sharpening, any chance you could point me in the right direction to be able to do that please
    Hi James,

Problems with image quality? should help, there is a section with a recommended workflow to downsize.

Cheers,

rob marshall

Rob...your point about the sharpness set to hard(2), i have no idea what you are talking about? i assume this is some setting that can be adjusted in camera? i will look through the manual though, what setting would you suggest.
    I'm not familiar with Nikons, but hard(2) sound a bit severe to me, and I just wondered if it might be affecting your image quality. See EXIF below. Someone else probably knows better.

Cottage

Real Name
    James

Hi Rob,
    Well after quite a bit of reading and messing with the camera i finally found the setting, this must have been pre set as i certainly have not been into that menu before?
    I have now changed it to normal so will see how pics turn out with this setting
    and i thought taking pictures would be easy

Real Name
    Bob R

Taking the photos in RAW format will give you the option of whatever is best at that time. I shoot both RAW + Jpeg, that way I can delete the ones right away that I don't think will cut the mustard.