Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The River City

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

The River City

It was a nice evening in Brisbane yesterday so I decided to try a few shots on the river. They are shots taken of or from the Kurilpa Bridge which is a relatively new walking/cycle bridge over the Brisbane River. Whilst I'm happy enough with the image quality, I'm not sure how they work in terms of viewing interest and would appreciate any feedback thanks.

Cheers Dave

Click on images for best viewing

The River City

The River City

The River City

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: The River City

Hi Dave, the third one is easiest for my eye to follow. The second one might work better if you were pointed a bit more to the right as you seem to have two subjects, the near bridge and the far bridge and to me, they compete for attention. I'm not sure why the first one doesn't appeal more. Perhaps if the river was included in the image? Nice color in all three and well exposed for the conditions!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 11th October 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Dave, the third one is easiest for my eye to follow. The second one might work better if you were pointed a bit mor to the right as you seem to have two subjects, the near bridge and the far bridge and to me, they compete for attention. I'm not sure why the first one doesn't appeal more. Perhaps I the river was included in the image? Nice color in all three and well exposed for the conditions!
    Hi Frank

Thanks for the comments. It's always hard to un-tie yourself from emotional attachments to your own images but you've helped me !

With the first shot, it's difficult to get a good angle as there is a freeway between the only shooting position and the river (the freeway you see snaking along the river in the third image).

With the second shot, I was trying to focus attention on the spiralling pathway more than anythging but as you say the foreground bridge infrastructure can be a distraction. Once again though, it's hard to find an optimum shooting position. If only bridge designers and architects would be more considerate of photographers needs !

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    George Montgomery

I like 'em!!!! Especially in lightbox.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by georgem View Post
    I like 'em!!!! Especially in lightbox.
    Thanks George

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Mark

Very nice Dave. I do like the reflections in 2 & 3. A long exposure for image 2 would be good with the citycat lights curving round the river bend. Just a thought

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by whited3 View Post
    Very nice Dave. I do like the reflections in 2 & 3. A long exposure for image 2 would be good with the citycat lights curving round the river bend. Just a thought
    Thanks Mark. Good suggestion about the City Cat lights. This shot was taken with 13sec but it might need a bit more than that to get a decent light trail - although they are fairly fast.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Bobo

Beautiful shots.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Beautiful shots.
    Thanks Bobo

Cheers Dave