Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Choices - Manfrotto 055X range or 190X range

Tripod Choices - Manfrotto 055X range or 190X range

Hi All,

Just looking for some opinions on some tripods. I've been using a Glanz TR160 ($AU30 job lol) to hold up my 450d. I'm beginning to think it's time to upgrade (I'm actually surprised it has never toppled over... yet), and my funds now permit it. I was wondering if someone can shed some light on some tripods I'm looking at.

I saw the tripod thread where Colin propped himself up on his Gitzo... It's very impressive how much weight they can handle, but I'm 99% sure I don't have the cash to afford one of these babies!

I found a few that I can get for a fairly decent price. I'm after a pan/tilt type of head as I think most of my shooting is landscape scenes and portraits. I have an EF 75-300 4-5.6 and an EF-S 18-55 IS 3.5-5.6 (both kit lens). Looking to purchase a 24-105 f4L IS at some point in the near future (when tax time comes around...) so this would probably need to be taken into account too when purchasing at tripod.

Here are my options
    190XDB + 804RC2 head - $AU249 - I was looking at this one because its light and a fairly good price.
    190XPROB + 804RC2 head - $AU349 - I'm still trying to work out the difference between this and the XDB...
    055XPROB + 804RC2 head - $AU439 - Apparently this stand is sturdier, however I'm not sure I believe things that I read on the internet (apart from CiC and a few other reliable sites)
    055XPROB + 808CR4 head - $AU489 - I can't really tell the difference between the 808CR4 and 804CR2 head...

I also checked out some Giottos that look ok but I'm not sure how good they are... If anyone has any first hand experience with any of these combos or heads/tripods, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm planning to do some portrait orientation shots (ie. tilt the camera 90 degrees to change it from 2x3 (HxW) to 3x2 ratio), will any of these heads allow this?
    Last edited by dan88; 14th April 2009 at 02:25 AM.

Re: Tripod Choices - Manfrotto 055X range or 190X range

I'm in the same boat re tripod Dan. I'm looking at the Benro range in aluminium, can't afford the carbon and won't be carrying far.
    http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng...+%26+Ball+head

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out. The weight is not an issue as it was not that long ago that I was carrying 4 textbooks to school... my bag weighed around 15kg so a few kg wouldn't be an issue.

After looking at your link, I'm probably looking at something like this: A550EX+HD28 or the A650EX+HD38 as it's in the price range I was looking for and looks fairly sturdy. Would this be a similar choice to one of the manfrottos? Also, do you know if the head is made out of some alloy or is it plastic? Would I be correct in saying it doesn't seem to have a quick release plate?

Have you heard much negative/positives about the benro's?

Ta!
    Last edited by dan88; 14th April 2009 at 05:55 AM.

Don't know about the comparison with the Manfrottos. I'm thinking about the A357 Benro, haven't made up my mind about a ball head yet. I'll possibly take my camera and biggest lens and pay them a visit for a try out, being on the pension I can do the round trip from the Central Coast for $2.50.

I've heard nothing but good reports for the Benro gear, apparently a Chinese copy of the Gitzo stuff.

Gotta love concession fares... It was good when I lost my license and I was travelling by train - because I was classed as a student due to my traineeship... Half price fares! I think you get fares even cheaper though being on a pension.

I'll have to pay them a visit too! Unfortunately I don't work near the CBD so I'll have to take a day off work or something and go in to check them out. The worst thing is when I go to a shop, I usually buy on impulse, so I'll probably end up with something way more expensive than I (and my wallet) had originally planned. Damned sales reps...

The difference between 190 XPROB and 190 XDB is that with XPROB you can pull out the centre-colom and put it back horizontal.
    Wich is very usefull when you want close to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by d3debian View Post
    The difference between 190 XPROB and 190 XDB is that with XPROB you can pull out the centre-colom and put it back horizontal.
    Wich is very usefull when you want close to the floor.
    Do you mean inverse the center column to have the camera inside all the 3 legs (if that makes sense)?

Quote Originally Posted by dan88 View Post
    Do you mean inverse the center column to have the camera inside all the 3 legs (if that makes sense)?
    It's possible but in that way the camera hangs upside-down wich i think is not great.

I mean you can pull the centre-colom in sidewards.

If you spread the tripodlegs as far as possible then the height of the centre-colom at a point restricts you to get lower.
    If you can pull it in sidewards then it's possible to get just above the floor.

For the xdb you need a short centre-colom when you want to get close to the floor.
    Wich you can buy or shorten the long centre-colom yourself.

I mean you can pull the centre-colom in sidewards.
    I see what you mean here

Thanks for clearing that up, d3debian.

Try this combination 190XPROB with 322RC2 joystick head, i find it ideal , for switching between landscape and portrait with just a twist of the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by jagman View Post
    Try this combination 190XPROB with 322RC2 joystick head, i find it ideal , for switching between landscape and portrait with just a twist of the wrist.
    I've heard of the 322RC2 joystick head but IMO pan and tilt is better. Pan and tilt you can change one axis at at time, rather than being able to move it wherever. I suppose ballheads are quick to change the orientation though.

The ballheads are difficult to get the angle right for the horizon yeah? or is it easy? Because this is my main reason for wanting a pan/tilt as opposed to a ballhead.
    Last edited by dan88; 15th April 2009 at 12:53 AM.

Ball heads are easier to get things right because of their mechanism. You get things right on a pan/tilt head, do up the screw, and it quite often moves a bit. On a ball head you get it right and turn the lock knob, and it does not move.
    I would sincerely suggest you try both before you buy, you will be surprised at the ball head. I personally, having used a pan/tilt head in the past, wouldn't consider anything but a ball head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    Ball heads are easier to get things right because of their mechanism. You get things right on a pan/tilt head, do up the screw, and it quite often moves a bit. On a ball head you get it right and turn the lock knob, and it does not move.
    I would sincerely suggest you try both before you buy, you will be surprised at the ball head. I personally, having used a pan/tilt head in the past, wouldn't consider anything but a ball head.
    Thanks Bill. I'll pay them a visit tomorrow sometime if I have a chance or Monday... Dying to ditch my $30 tripod and have something thats actually somewhat stable and feels like it can hold an SLR instead of just a compact.

Dan, I've pretty well settled on the A357 tripod with a B2 ball head. The A357 I can use standing up without extending the centre column (better stability) in fact I will have to lower the tripod a bit. I've gone for the B2 ball head because the 70-300 I use does not have a tripod mount, it relies on the camera, so there is a fair length of lens sticking it's nose out.

If you go onto ebay and search Benro you will find that he has some pretty good prices that are lower than his shop prices. Check them out and bargain him down on what you want. I'm sure he will come to the party as the new range of aluminium tripods from Benro are Aluminium/magnesium, are black, a little lighter, and unfortunately a fair bit dearer.

Ta Bill,

I'll have to test out the ballhead in the shop as well as the pan/tilt when I pay photo-shop-studio a visit. I have to agree with you on the
    You get things right on a pan/tilt head, do up the screw, and it quite often moves a bit.
    I've had this happen and had something pointing at the wrong thing as a result and had to dick around with it for ages to try and get it in the position I wanted.

Turns out my work neighbours are actually school photographers. I spoke to them about tripods and they said they might have a few in a lockup that haven't been used in like 12 months. I may end up ending up with a Manfrotto Professional tripod for a good price... My only problem is its size so I'll have to watchout to see if I can find the smallest one they have (as most of them are like 60-70cm legs).

Does anyone have any bad/good advice about the professional tripods that Manfrotto make? Any harm in buying a tripod that hasn't been used in a long time?

After going through much of what you are going through, weighing the 190 vs 0x55, I ended with the 0X55PROB + 488RC2 head. I'm very happy with this combo, and if you're around 6' like me, that's what you need or you'll end up bending over far too much. The difference between the RC2 and RC4 is base-plate size, and as was explained to me, the RC4 would be better for a large format camera. For a DSLR, the RC2 is just fine, so that's what I went with. You must be going for the bigger head because you have heavier glass to support? My 488RC2 does fine with my Nikkor 70-300VR, and is rated for more weight.

eNo
    http://esfotoclix.com

Real Name
    Bill

I just bought my first tripod yesterday. Didn't want to spend a fortune but didn;t want to cheap out either .

I got the Manfrotto 190XB
    http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/13144

With a 486RC2 Ball Head
    http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2304

So far so good. I think I will buying a level for the head tho. (I know I could get one with it included )

I recently purchased a Flashpoint 1228 carbon tripod (made for and sold by Adorama.com) and was very pleased with my purchase. A friend of mine had a Manfrotto (either the 055x or 190x--don't remember which off-hand). My 1228 cost US$35 more, but weighed 2 pounds less and holds 2 pounds more load. The 1228 is the mid-size Flashpoint tripod. You might want to give them a look.

Joe

Thanks for your input guys. I think I'm going to check out the Benro tripods when I get a chance (been very busy with life the past few months)...

@ eNo - I don't have very heavy lens... I'm planning to buy some better glass at some point (probably tax time) but at the moment its just kit lenses for me. The reason I mentioned the professional stuff was because I work next to a school photography place. These guys in any case had none to help me, so I have had to look elsewhere...

@ Doughboy - how do you find the 190's? Are they stable enough in slightly windy conditions (as I tend to like to do a bit of beach photography) with a DSLR on it?

@ Joe - Thanks Joe. I'll have a look at these Flashpoint tripods online... It sounds like they be like the Benros in terms of price/quality...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast