Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fog, No Fog, Blue Skies & Night Sky Panoramics - These are my views from my terrace.

Real Name
    Joie Fadde

Fog, No Fog, Blue Skies & Night Sky Panoramics - These are my views from my terrace.

Now I have a fourth panoramic.... I have taken some night photos to add to my collection of panoramics from my terrace in Rockaway Beach, NY. Feel free to comment...

Fog
    Fog, No Fog, Blue Skies & Night Sky Panoramics - These are my views from my terrace.

Overcast

Blue Skies

Night Sky

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Fog, No Fog, Blue Skies & Night Sky Panoramics - These are my views from my terra

It is a great idea to do a series on the same subjects in different light, seasons, weather, etc. Well captured and presented.

But you really need to get out more.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Fog, No Fog, Blue Skies & Night Sky Panoramics - These are my views from my terra

Hi Joie,

Great stuff - are they stitched, or just cropped?

I'm always amazed at how I can go back to the same place I've shot before, and come away with a completely different shot.

Real Name
    Steve

The only constant appears to be what looks like a rug.

Real Name
    Joie Fadde

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Joie,

Great stuff - are they stitched, or just cropped?

I'm always amazed at how I can go back to the same place I've shot before, and come away with a completely different shot.
    They are stitched....

I thought I was done, but someone suggested to me, what's next.... WINTER?
    So I thought... bring on the SNOW.....

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Like others have said, that is a great idea. It really works. And, yep, Steve's right. That rug seems to have made it through them all.

And I agree, we need 'Winter'

Real Name
    Joie Fadde

Actually, to clarify, the rug is actually a flag bunting hanging on the railing of the terrace, and for effect, I will leave it in place.

Just thought of another good addition to the series... Sunset with an orange sky, hopefully with some clouds. Any other suggestions...

Maybe even a lightning strike... that would be an interesting capture to then make a panoramic... Get the lightning, then get the extra shots to stitch together to make sure the sky matches.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Joiemagic View Post
    They are stitched....

I thought I was done, but someone suggested to me, what's next.... WINTER?
    So I thought... bring on the SNOW.....
    We're just getting over winter here (no snow on the ground, but some pretty cold days none the less) - so you're welcome to it

Do you use a nodal bar to stop the closer elements causing problems with the stitching?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joie,

As said, a fascinating series and worth a few more, that has to be one of the advantages of living 'up there'.

You can spend ages flipping between to play 'spot the difference'

Cheers,

Real Name
    Joie Fadde

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Do you use a nodal bar to stop the closer elements causing problems with the stitching?
    OK, help me out here... what is a nodal bar. And based on that question, it should answer your question... I think anyway... but no, I am not using a nodal bar.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Joiemagic View Post
    OK, help me out here... what is a nodal bar. And based on that question, it should answer your question... I think anyway... but no, I am not using a nodal bar.
    Hi Joie,

When shooting panoramas, if you have something close to the lens - and something further away from the lens, then the relationship between these two things will change in relationship to the lens if you rotate the camera around the sensor axis - which in turn makes it difficult for the software to match up the different shots. It's a bit like lining a couple of objects up with your left eye, and then close that eye and look at them with your right eye - the foreground object will have moved left relative to the background object (you can actually see this occusing through the viewfinder as you pan the camera) (if in doubt, try it with a couple of sticks in the ground).

With a nodal bar, the camera is moved backwards, so the point of rotation is around the entrance pupil of the lens - every thing keeps it's relationship with respect to everything else - and the software can do a better job of aligning everything.

That's the theory anyway. In practice it holds true when you have things close to the camera lens (like the railing in your shots) -- it everything is far away in the background, then it doesn't matter so much.