Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Marlow Bridge Panorama

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Marlow Bridge Panorama

We have enjoyed an indian summer in the south of England with high temperatures and clear blue skies. I have taken full advantage of this and spent many hours done by the River Thames with my camera.

The light appears to the eye to be very warm but comes out of the camera with an orange tint. I have tried to get the colours to look natural but not sure whether I have succeeded.

This was taken with my canon 50 mm prime lens, which has become a favorite.

Your views would be much appreciated.

Marlow Bridge Panorama

Aperture: f/13.0 Shutter Speed: 1/125 ISO: 100

Real Name
    Philip

Re: Marlow Bridge Panorama

Hello Chris.

The classic shot of this wonderful bridge, with the moored boats adding interest in the foreground and a non-distracting blue sky background. Two observations, particularly when the image is viewed full screen (i.e. after clicking on it) -

Firstly, although the appearance of a photo like this one is influenced by both personal taste and a monitor's image quality, for me the image still seems to have slightly too much orange glow. I hope you don't mind, but playing around with levels (RGB, saturation, contrast and brightness) by trial and error, makes this look more as the scene appeared when I visited last weekend:

Marlow Bridge Panorama

Secondly, one can see a little wobble in the bridge deck, just to the left of centre - is this where two images were stitched together? I have not yet tried to do panoramas like this - I have created them by cheating, shooting with a wide-angle and then trimming off the top and bottom!

Philip

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for your observations Philip. They were exactly what I was looking for as I had got too close to this image to be objective.

As I mentioned in the post the light was very warm, which translated through the camera as a more orange cast. I tried to edit it out without losing the warm sunny feel but not enough.

I had not noticed the kink just left of center. You are right this is three images stitched together. I use Panorama Factory and will be able to adjust the kink out.

Regards

Chris

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Philip seems to have got the comments clear and succinct on this one.

I just wonder how you manage to get images that look as if there is no-one else about. Given the number of images of this bridge that have appeared on here recently, I get the impression that the place must be crawling with 'togs and you're all falling over each other. Chris, you need to get back to Glencoe where, once the tourist buses have gone, there are no people!

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Ah Donald - you have to have patience and wait a long time (also the clone tool helps)! Glencoe - I need no second bidding!

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Chris,

Nice image indeed. I wonder if the large amount of blue in the image, given the blue sky and bluer water, has not thrown your auto white balance off a tad and tried to add warmth to neutralise the colours in the scene. Rather than play with saturation, hue, colour balance etc you might find a simple adjustment to white balance then contrast and sharpening is sufficient to correct the orange cast in the image.

We are still waiting to see summer in the southern parts of Australia but after teh cold wet winter we have just had I cannot wait. Please send some down under.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks Peter - I will try your suggestion.

Sadly the weather changed yesterday, so perhaps the good weather is heading your way.

Regards

Chris