Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: hello friends

Real Name
    Valentin Arfire

hello friends

Here is a 360 degree image I took recently.
    http://www.360cities.net/image/micro....10,29.60,70.0

the equipment I have used is Canon 5d + 10-17 Tokina @15mm, ISO 100, manual, 1/250, f8, handheld shots, stitched using ptgui, then pano2vr for cubefaces, some corrections with photoshop elements and pano2vr to join again the cubefaces into an equirectangular projection.

ideas and recommendations are appreciated

Real Name
    Mike

Re: hello friends

Hello Valentin, and welcome to the site...hello friends

Very creative image..

My thoughts about improving it are removing/cloning out the dust bunnies in the sky on the upriver side, and the overly bright cloud area on the downriver side could use some selective reduction in the exposure.

Did you plan for your thermos to be in the image? The stitching of the separate frames appeared seamless to me.

Mike

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Valentin,

Welcome oto the CiC forums from me, an interesting start

I like the map view on left (pull out tab) complete with an approxiamate angle of view marked and links to other images - I've never seen those features before.

I have a concern that if you set the tonal range to include the 'sun side' with less blow out, that as you pan around the other 3/4 of the sphere, the tonal range would look unduly dim without a very careful transition, it would be easier to hide with a narrower angle of view, but when you zoom back, I think it would be too obvious.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Valentin Arfire

thank you Mark and Dave for the kind words and feedback.
    I still have plenty to learn and I hope I'll do better for the future

Regarding the 360cities.net - it is a portal where many panoramic photographers expose their work; given the infrastructure and the dedication it is very convenient for the common users to place their works on the map, to place some explanations and some thoughts and eventually to have their works placed on Google Earth on Panoramio layer, which brings visitors. Given the large size of the files - they are often 50 MB files and even more - I think it is a good solution to keep the images like this, with many other contributors on a dedicated portal.

The set of pictures for a 360 degree image is made with the same exposure - otherwise the demarcation between the shots would be too obvious.
    In order to squeeze more details, I enfuse an overexposed (+0.8)with an underexpose (-1.17) image - each obtained from the same raw file - and the result is more than a common jpeg can record. During the years I have tried enfuse, tufuse but for the sake of the sharpness I now use the sns-hdr lite.
    So getting a nice sun on a blue sky would mean wasting most of the details in the shadow and also moving the subject of the image from the river and its shore to the sun. Of course extreme hdr would give the entire image an artificial air that is common to other art domains but I'm afraid over-using it gets one too close to the dangers of kitsch.

I have dust on the sensor and not enough patience to clean it - sorry - I'll deal with it someday