Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Light Wood

Light Wood

I was rabbit hunting for pictures and looked behind me to see the sun shining through. Looking through my eyes it looked lovely. I tried to get on camera what I could see but didn't manage it (as normal lol).

Had to tweak the picture in PS as it was a little to dark on the left side.

C&C away.... What I have done right, and wrong.

Cheers,

Dave

Light Wood
    Last edited by Skyline; 1st October 2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Light Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    C&C away.... What I have done right, and wrong.
    Light Wood
    The left hand side looks OK now, but it looks a bit over exposed on the right.

I'd also try a tighter crop, lossing 10% width from the left and 5% from right so the picture has a bit more depth to it, I think the taller aspect ratio would suit the subject.
    That said, I don't even try these shots myself as I rarely see the wood for the trees

Best regards,

Thanks for the help Dave. It was to bright on the right, I have brought that down and done the crop you suggested.

Light Wood

Real Name
    Ian

A ND grad filter would have prevented the highlights clipping and retained the detail in the left hand side. Great location!

Thanks Ian. is a ND filter the same as everything else. You get what you pay for?

Real Name
    Ian

Generally yes, unfortunately. Lee filters are regarded by many as a really spot on quality but have had supply problems of late so you might struggle to get what you want. Hitech have recently taken up some of this demand and I know of a few folk who recommend them highly. B&W are also reasonable well thought of. Beyond that there are the easily available high street brands such as Cokin which are readily available and for a lot of the time the difference is marginal but every extra bit of glass/filter plastic you put in front of the lens there will be some drop off in quaility. Try to match the filter to the lens quality....usually price is a good indictator!

Thanks for the help Ian