Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on capturing

Real Name
    Kori

Tips on capturing

If anyone could let me know if it's possible - with the scene below to have the bridge brighter(so you can see that it's a bridge) yet keep the sunset effect???

I took this last night - it was getting cold, so I didn't set up the tripod - I hand held the camera and tried to quickly get a shot in to see what it would look like. I can go back with the tripod, and any suggestions.... and winter jacket, hat.... ha ha ha

I'm still learning all the shutter and aperature stuff here...so is it possible???? And if so...do you keep the shutter open longer, I wouldn't think so because then the effect wouldn't be "sunet"...???? Am I asking the impossible here?? LOL

Camera Settings: Manual Mode: F/10, 1/25 sec, ISO 200

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Kori

Tips on capturing

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Tips on capturing

same as with the tunnel - (a) must shoot RAW/NEF) (b) do a soft brush selection on the bit you want to draw more detail from and use D-Lighting (sometimes referred to as fill flash or protect shadows) (c) adjust settings to avoid visible boundaries.

Have only seen Paintshop Pro in action once; am a Nikon Capture devotee and keep a starter guide on it on my pbase site.

Real Name
    Kori

Okay - so I have to make sure when I take pictures to always use RAW now!

I'll have to go back and reshoot in RAW and see what I can do post processing with my Paint Shop program.

Thanks! I am glad that I'm not asking the impossible!

Kori

PS...I'll be looking at your page now!

Kori, once you shoot raw and discover it's benefits I'm sure you will never go back to shooting Jpeg.

Real Name
    Kori

Thanks Bill-

I sure hope so....Question though.....

If I shoot in RAW - do all my other setting stay the same - as if I was shooting in JPEG...like Aperature, Shutter speed...etc...Do I have compensate for anything????

Thank you!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by batman44 View Post
    If I shoot in RAW - do all my other setting stay the same
    Yup, it's only the saved as file format you are changing, so everything to do with taking the picture is identical.

Real Name
    Kori

Thanks Dave!
    Glad to know I don't have to worry about that!
    Now I have to learn a little more on Post Processing - sigh....LOL....Happy Easter!
    Kori

Real Name
    Chris

If I shoot in RAW - do all my other setting stay the same - as if I was shooting in JPEG...like Aperature, Shutter speed...etc...Do I have compensate for anything????
    Yes, but what you are doing is effectively ALSO capturing the EV (exposure value) below and above, so when you process you can choose which is best.

BUT, 'no free lunch' rule, beyond a modest correcting adjustment, say 0.5 EV, you will start introducing serious noise depending on ISO used etc. However it often allows you to stick with your preferred speed, suggest 1/200 min for DSLR, in poor light - or allow some 'blown' area in bright light when shooting dark tunnels or bridges.

And while posting why not a pussy in the wrong thread? You seem the right person to tell me the breed Kori
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Kori

Chris-
    Looks like one of mine....but older. Blue British Shorthair, but....they are usually referred to as Persian Blue's around here, as they were cross bread to improve the thickness/softness of their coats. Very pretty silver highlights on the fur when the sun is reflecting at the right angle.

I took a few picts yesterday at Easter Lunch of all the grandkids for my Mom-(she's been begging for one for about a year now!)....in RAW- I am so proud!!! But when I put them on my computer and started to look...I had the sun glare at me...I moved out of the sun....or so I thought.

I was able to get some of the glare out and sharpen and soften certain areas....I still have a lot to learn with processing. Just not reall happy with this overall appearance yet...Maybe too much sharpening around the faces yet????

Any idea's on different steps to improve this - and get that sun spot less noticable???

Thanks for ANY and all help here....ANd there is always Mother's Day for retakes! ha ha
    Tips on capturing
    Last edited by batman44; 13th April 2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added text

Real Name

Hi Kori,

You did the right thing bringing them into the shade, at least the family are not squinting, but I guess that left you in the sunshine.

Hmmm, that is a lot of flare, at the risk of stating the blinking obvious;
    - is the front of the lens (and/or filter) clean?
    - if you have a lens hood and it wasn't in use, dig it out and use it in future, on all shots, not just those into sun
    - if you don't have one, get one; kit zoom lenses are probably more prone to flare than any other type

Even then, the hood may not be enough, you may need a helper holding something out of shot above the lens to shade it, or if you can stand with the lens in a shadow yourself.

In respect of rescuing these shots, you've done quite well already.
    Not sure how you've done it, but now, most of the 'mushiness' is on the tree behind, not the people.

Yes, I think there is a tad too much sharpening going in to your pictures, but I've seen worse.
    Not sure what sort of sharpening you are using, I'm no expert, but these days I almost exclusively use Un-Sharp Mask (USM)
    I find I have to tailor the amount, radius and threshold to each shot individually, one size doesn't fit all when sharpening.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Kori

Hi Dave-
    Thank you!

I used Unmask Sharp...But maybe a little too much! I can try a redo with not as much sharpening.
    My lens is clean...as far as I know
    I have a hood, but thought I didn't need it as I "thought" the camera lens was out of the rays of the sun....I will use it from now on- regardless! And set up was rushed as the 2 yr old was getting craby/tired! LOL

Guess I shoot and Learn! That's why I like this forum!

As far as posing goes....how would you recommend positioning all these kids for this??? Does it work - or no????

Kori

Real Name

As far as posing goes....how would you recommend positioning all these kids for this??? Does it work - or no????
    YES, looks fine to me.

You might want to avoid the netball stand (or similar) being behind someone though.

Everyone is happy, no-one is blinking, done good there.

Real Name
    Kori

Thanks Dave....
    I have to learn these "watch out" for this and that in the background a little more! LOL

Real Name

Hi Kori,

Yeah, that sorta thing catches everyone out at first

Some books might suggest that the tallest should be in the middle of a group shot, but given the colours of clothing they're wearing, the shot looks far better "balanced" as it is, with the two people wearing light colours at each end, than it would if arranged by height alone in this group.

Regards,

Real Name
    Kori

Dave:
    Funny you say that....because to let all honesty out....I didn't do that...They arranged themselves in a straight line. I said the 3 boys (in front now) to move there.... So the color arrangment thing sort of was by pure luck. And when I saw it later...I was like....wow what luck that the whites are outside and the little kid in white was in middle..... I just feel that the arrangement of them..besides getting them closer should be different somehow???? But maybe if they were closer together it would be so messy looking to me????

Kori

Real Name

Hi Kori,

You're too honest, shoulda kept quiet and just used that info to advantage next time and no-one would have been any the wiser

I think if they'd been any closer together it would have looked too cramped, it looks natural and fine for what it is, but above average due to the grouping, smiles and eyes.

Sure, you could beat yourself up for lack of fill flash*, or the bright bits showing through the trees (maybe this is what looks untidy to you), but Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Just build on what worked and look out for and avoid what didn't, next time round (July 4th?).

* Not that I think exposure is too bad either.

The main thing is to just keep practicing, find a place (or two) in the yard or neighbourhood that "work" for group photos so you're prepared next time (no matter whether morning or afternoon).

Cheers,

Real Name
    Kori

Dave-
    Honesty...well...I don't want something to be said about why I messed up next time...Now I'm in the clear for any future mess ups!! LOL

Good thing is I think we all be together for Mother's Day in May! I'm keeping my fingers crossed at least!

Yes I keep practicing....having fun doing it too!

You guys here really help me out Tons! I keep my little notebook nearby!!!!

Kori

Real Name
    Chris

A really nice family Kori

Looking at the result with PP hat on, I may have misled you going on about a soft edge brush for selecting areas to adjust D-Lighting. It looks as if you may have kept the same soft-edged selection for unsharp? For unsharp, on the contary you need a selection with a very precise edge, as any over-ride outside what you want sharp causes halo effects & noise; an alternative is to try 'High Pass' on the same selection as unsharp, or sometimes a combination of smaller doses of the 2. Good tutorial on High Pass, but you will have to translate from PSspeak.
    ( http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...pen-high-pass/ )

I would definitely stamp out the basketball thing.

Real Name
    Kori

Chris-
    Thanks...only two of those are my kids....so I'm not responsible for the rest of the crew! LOL

I will clone out the basketball hoop/stand too!

I'll be playing around with the sharp and soften tools now too.....
    So much playing around...I need to quit my day job!!!

And be hoping for good weather on Mother's Day and they all show up again so I can retake and compare!

Kori

Kori use the lens hood all the time, it can provide some measure of protection from physical damage to your lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast