Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Up in smoke

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Up in smoke

There was a house fire in our wee town yesterday arvo. Lots of fire trucks with flashing lights and noisy sirens. Didn't do much good. Sadly, the house was gutted. This is the view we got of the action from our place. Maybe not great shots technically and certainly not 'pretty' But not something you see everyday, hey?
    Thanks for viewing and for any comments posted.
    old ucci

Up in smoke

Up in smoke

Up in smoke

Up in smoke

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Up in smoke

It's funny, green hills just isn't something my mind associates with Australia, despite me knowing it's a big place with a large variety of climate and geology between north, south, east, west and the big bit in the middle - it looks so familiar to me, yet my preconceptions (incorrectly) tell me it is out of place.

I remember being struck my just how green (with trees) America was when I landed there by plane, I was expecting concrete.
    I also remember being amazed at just how much of Paris was concrete when I went there at night.

I should travel more

That's probably not the comments you were expecting Ken
    I'll try again ...

On the pictures, my first thought, since you have a C&C request there, was 'why do we need 4 pictures of a smoke pall?', but then I started looking closer and each has its merits compositionally and for; context, recording the timeline of smoke development and getting closer to the action, so all are valid.

Hope no-one was hurt, but losing everything in a fire must be awful for the home owners anyway

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Dave
    Thank you for comments and putting most post's contents into perspective. Most helpful. I guess what I really wanted to ask, but stupidly didn't, was which picture actually tells the best story.
    Your description of Oz is most apt. Victoria and Tasmania are small but very green, well treed States. The rest, apart from the tropical bits of Queensland and the East coast of New South Wales, is pretty much as you have imagined it.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Mike

Hi Ken,

#3 was probably the best one to tell the story, but since the house isn't visible the
    viewer has to draw their own conclusion.

Hope the family got out OK, and was able to at least salvage some memories
    before it was engulfed. Billowing black smoke is never a good thing...

Mike

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Hi Ken,

#3 was probably the best one to tell the story, but since the house isn't visible the
    viewer has to draw their own conclusion.

Mike

Hi mike
    Thanks for feed back. Much appreciated and very helpful. Unfortunately we were too far away, at least 2 to 3 kms as the crow flies or maybe further, to pick up the building on fire.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ken,

Yes, I agree with Mike; #3 tells the story best in a single shot; you can see it is a residential area and it has more smoke than #1.

Up in smoke
    I think it might sharpen up more though (as seen here after the downsize)

What do you think?
    Up in smoke
    USM 100%, 0.4px and 2 threshold

(compare Prev/Next in Lytebox)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree that #3 is the picture.

Have you got a local newspaper that would run stories like this? They might be very interested in this - there won't be many more dramatic shots of the fire. It sets it very much in the context of the town.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thanks to all who posted responses. It was most helpful. Particularly the extra sharpening. But I would not have the nerve to front up to the local newspaper. I am sure they would have much better to run. Once again thank you all.
    old ucci