Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In conversation with .... Tobias (TobyMac)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In conversation with .... Tobias (TobyMac)

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

In conversation with... TobyMac

Name: Tobias Weber

CiC: Tobias, thanks very much for taking the time to participate in 'In conversation with ...'.

It is my pleasure.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your general back-ground. What about your work history – anything interesting?

I only finished school two years ago and wasn't entirely sure what to study but I decided this year to study photography so I can one day become a photojournalist.

And what about your family life?

I live with my Mom and Dad who moved to South Africa from Germany about 30 years ago, I also have two sisters who are both married and moved out though.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

The perfect night in after a long day would have to be watching either a great comedy of action movie with a big Pizza, as for books, anything Fantasy related is a winner for me.

OK, photography is a given, but what about other hobbies or personal interests?

Anything sport related but mainly Volleyball, I play for a club near where I live and we take part in the local leagues.

EDITOR'S PICK #1

Let's get on to photography - how long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

As a child my Mom always carried a camera around and I always loved her pictures and when we got our first digital camera I started playing with that and really loved it, I got my first proper SLR camera 4 years ago.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

Above all I love macro and wildlife photography - wildlife photography because I just really enjoy nature and macro photography because I love showing people the smaller things in life and find it fascinating how a great macro picture can show you detail you never even knew about.

Any particular photographic influences?

My greatest photographic influence will have to be my family, because my mom has always done it as a hobby and my sister is a professional Photographer who does proper photo shoots and wedding photography.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

With my photography I wish to show people the sides of our world that so many overlook because they are to focused on their own little things, I always say that through my lens I see worlds that others can only dream of, and finding these worlds and showing them to others is why I love macro photography so much.

EDITOR'S PICK #2

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

To be honest it is the best photography forum site I have found so far and love every bit of it.

Getting more personal if you don't mind...what keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

Well two nights a week its my Volleyball, we usually play till around 9 or so and then we go have some drinks as team building but apart from that I love watching Soccer with my dad, mainly the German Bundesliga, If there just happens to be no soccer we watch anything with home design and improvement.

I have to ask this…. What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

I have a Canon 350D with the standard 18-55mm lens, then I have a Sigma 70-300mm lens and, my favourite, a canon 100mm macro lens. For lighting I have a Canon Speedlite, I also have a great Manfrotto Tripod which is my best friend. Software wise I use Photoshop Elements, would love to upgrade to the proper full version though.

It’s a tough one to answer, but how would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I still consider myself an amateur, but if I compare the photos I took 2 or 4 years ago I can see that I have improved a lot. I also know I still have a lot to learn and eagerly want to.

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

I think the biggest changes will be to the speed of the camera and the quality of the sensors which will make it easier to capture super sharp images, and I will most definitely still own one.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I think I would be able to help others in their photography to an extent, as for encouraging others in their photography, I would like my photographs to do that for them.

Another tough one for you…do you consider photography to be art?

Yes, anyone can pick up a point and shoot camera and take a good picture but only a photographer can turn moments in our every day lives into something amazing and awe inspiring.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

Let's say I prefer being on the other end of the lens.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

Don't hold back, take pictures and experiment as much as possible

Can we see two of your shots that mean something special to you, and could you explain why.

The first picture is of my Girlfriend, she means the world to me.

Flickr or click image to view in Lytebox at 753px × 1,024px

The second is a macro picture of a bee and means a lot to me because it is exactly the kind of image I have been working toward since I started photography.It was only taken a couple of weeks ago.

Flickr or click image to view in Lytebox at 964px × 1,024px

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I think spiders are the most amazing creatures.

Tobias, thank you, again, for making the time to take part in 'In conversation with ...'.

Thank you very much it has been my pleasure.

Read all the other interviews in the series by going to this link
    Last edited by Donald; 15th September 2011 at 01:44 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: In conversation with .... Tobias (TobyMac)

Hi Tobias,

Great to learn a little more about you and your family.

Yes, I'd be well pleased with that bee shot too

Keep on shootin',

Real Name
    Joe

Good Luck Tobias! Looking forward to seeing more and learning more from you. Joe

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Tobias

Hope you enjoyed seeing it on here. Thanks for taking part.

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Thanks guys, I can't even begin to explain how great full I am to have found this website, the things I have learned have helped me sooooo much and I'm looking forward to keep learning for a long time