Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A friend in need...

Real Name
    Richard

A friend in need...

I have a friend who lives in Arizona and owns the son of our AKC Champion Maltese. This little guy is breaking all kinds of records for obedience trials for his breed and there is a publication that wants to publish pictures of him.

My friend shoots with a Nikon Coolpix S6100 and the publication requires either a JPEG image in RGB or a TIFF image in CMYK that is 300 DPI. I don't have any more requirements than that. I requested her to email me the actual requirements for the publication.

I don't know what, if any editing program is supplied with the Coolpix S6100. I always shoot in RAW but, when looking up the specifications of the S6100, I did not see a RAW capability. I wonder what I should advise her post processing to be. She doesn't even have Photoshop Elements. I don't think that she knows anything at all about post processing. How can she save the images for the publication.

I would happily shoot the little dog for the publication but, it is at least a ten hour drive to where he is located.

Does the Coolpix S6100 have enough quality for this requirement?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: A friend in need...

Hi Richard, it sounds like the easiest solution is to see if she knows a local photographer that can do this for her.

Real Name
    Mike

Richard,

Based on Franks excellent suggestion, I am wondering if there is a CiC member in the area that might consider taking a few images for them? Couldn't hurt to ask, and although it may be an amateur at least they might get some decent pics in RAW that you could then process for them. Just a thought...

Mike

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Richard,

The camera is 16MP, so a decent sized image at 300dpi shouldn't be a problem - how sharp it will be (with such a titchy lens) is another matter.

Assuming she can take the pictures OK, since they are accepting files (not prints), I don't see geography comes into it, as long as she can e-mail some full size jpg pictures to you/someone, they can make any cropping, levels and sharpening necessary, then send them back.

UPDATE:
    A quick search through the pdf manual mentions print resolution of 300dpi (p46) - in fact 72dpi doesn't get a mention, so perhaps 300 is default , so it should be possible. The camera must be sRGB only anyway, I'd avoid conversion to TIFF and YCMK, not as if it'll add anything.

Or is the taking a problem too?

HTH,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 11th September 2011 at 05:05 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks everyone for your help... It appears that if Joanie saves the files in their original size, it will probably be acceptable to the publisher. It appears that she was saving them in a reduced size and this caused the problems. It is always wonderful how CiC folks pitch in to help whenever a problem comes up.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Richard,

Jumping in a bit late here, but I've had similar issues with printers / publishers and the "magic 300 DPI". Unfortunately, it's a meaningless figure unless we also know the size the print is going to be (eg a picture that's only 300 pixels on the long dimension would be 300 ppi if only printed 1 inch long) - so what they really need to be saying is "we need it to be at least x number of pixels by y number of pixels, but alas, many just don't seem to understand.

I've also had issues with images being rejected because of the lack of resolution, so I resampled them in Photoshop - resubmitted them - and "viola" all is now acceptable