Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pocket Wizard TT5 Flex and Mini etc post your tips, tricks and piccys ;)

Real Name
    Ric

Pocket Wizard TT5 Flex and Mini etc post your tips, tricks and piccys ;)

Ok chaps, decided to part with some cold hard cash. and pick up my first pair.

Now doing some research, I see the 580II puts about abit of noise, and thus can confuse the signal from the wizards etc. eg less range. I see shields for sale, and people mounting the wizard via off shoe cable to help the issue.

But I would love to see some tips and tricks chaps. and even examples of a simple 1 flash setup using these

regards

-Ric
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 11th September 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Pocket Wizard TT5 Flex and Mini etc post your tips, tricks and piccys

You need Colin for this one Ric, but the F1 (GP) has finished now and if he stayed up to watch, he may not be around for a bit

At least you're in the same timezone.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 11th September 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Real Name
    Ric

Thanks for that Dave Im a tad lucky, I see old Colin every few days as we are in the same city

I pick his brain, well as much as one can get away with In fact after viewing some of his off cam shots and view some links he passed on to me. sold me on picking up a set

And yes there is a good chance he is in the land of snooze!

thanks

-Ric

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    You need Colin for this one Ric, but the F1 (GP) has finished now and if he stayed up to watch, he may not be around for a bit

At least you're in the same timezone.
    Actually, we're normaly about 200 yards apart! And by the way, Sebastian Vettle RULES! (kicked their butts )

Now doing some research, I see the 580II puts about abit of noise, and thus can confuse the signal from the wizards etc. eg less range. I see shields for sale, and people mounting the wizard via off shoe cable to help the issue.

But I would love to see some tips and tricks chaps. and even examples of a simple 1 flash setup using these
    Hi Ric,

The EU versions of the PW are on different frequencies to the FCC versions, and the 580EX II noise doesn't interfere as much. In reality, they're good for around 50 to 60 feet (with my crude "count the paces up the street" testing method), so should be just fine in most portraiture situations (even when using a long lens from a distance). I haven't had any problems in this regard.

LPA design have released V6.00 of the firmware recently (with some nice new things to play with like speed-cycler & the ability to trigger the TT5 with a TT1 that's off the camera), so make sure you upgrade to it. In real-world terms they still fire the occasional "random nuke" - and occasionally the TT1 needs to be powered off/on, but they're pretty good 99.x+ % of the time.

The AC3 zone controller is worth it's weight in gold - I've got an "ever so slightly faulty" spare that you're welcome to "borrow".

Real Name
    Ric

Thanks for the info mate, your a wealth of knowledge! Great to know that the EU versions of the PW run abit cleaner

looks like when they turn up, I might have to trundle down to the studio as ask for abit of help in regards to updating the firmware, I would hate to brick the bloomin things

and the offer to Borrow the AC3 controller! buy that man a beer

looking foward to playing with these, and will be sure to post up some piccys

Regards

-Ric

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Ric View Post
    And yes there is a good chance he is in the land of snooze!
    I'm awake (got a couple of hours sleep before the race, so not feeling too bad )